Trusted Contributor

Re: The Economy is looking very bright again..

On 5/16/2015 raining said:
On 5/15/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 5/15/2015 Qwackertoo said:

The top 5% are doing fantastic.

The top 10% are doing very well.

The top 25% aren't complaining so much.

But that 47% . . . they are STILL HURTING. And worse off than ever.

The War On Poverty Has Been Lost. 60 years later. It is no better.

Keep doing the same thing . . . and expecting different results isn't working.

Go. Figure.

I would say the fact that middle class wages have remained stagnant for 40 years is a big factor. The crash in 2008 really impacted recent numbers. People lost jobs that aren't coming back, and so they are forced to go on public assistance and/or take lower wage jobs. There are approx. 3 million jobs available, but they require skills that workers don't have. I think there should be more investment in worker retraining. And we should do that before increasing visas to allow more foreign workers with those skills into the country.
Sadly,Americans do not want those jobs,or can not pass the drug tests, or just do not show up everyday so they get fired.

There are Americans working in lower paying jobs. These are the people that are called "underemployed" workers.

Many of them are workers who lost their jobs when the economy first crashed. They were highly paid in their fields. They ended up getting other jobs, but not at their former rate of pay, and maybe not even in the same field.

Many of them may have been retired too, but lost their retirement income during that severe economic time period, so they went back to work and took a low-paying service job, just to make some extra money.

Where did you get this information where Americans can't pass drug tests, and also don't show up for work every day so they get fired? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Edited my post to add that I still don't know where this last comment is coming from, and in my opinion, it seems to paint Americans with a broad brush.

Respected Contributor

Well, I got my information about drug tests and criminal convictions directly from the recruiter for the company.

Super Contributor

That may be happening with some employees, but the generalization can't be applied universally. There are thousands of workers who don't fit in that category.

Trusted Contributor

Hi minkbunny, yes, I understand that there may be some certain individuals who may not be able to pass a screening test.

However, I was directing my comment to the poster raining, since it is so broad and and seems to be such a wide generalization.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/16/2015 RainCityGirl said:

That may be happening with some employees, but the generalization can't be applied universally. There are thousands of workers who don't fit in that category.

That was exactly my point, RainCityGirl. You and I were posting at the same time. Smile

Respected Contributor

Hi, and thanks !

It is truly a shame as a lot of good jobs are going without workers, we were told the same by a local Army recruiter. Having a hard time due to the same issues.

Drugs are such a big problem these days.

Hopefully things will only get better. Smile

ETA. I do think the economy in general is thriving, it has never slowed down around here. We live in a tourist town, a lake community. There are a lot of wealthy yacht people, big RVs, fancy pickups, etc. Restaurants, stores, movies, always packed. Most of the money belongs to the over fifty set, I would say.

Respected Contributor

Here in the the desert that is MI, things are looking good in the oasis of Ann Arbor.

Super Contributor

On 5/16/2015 northernlights said:
On 5/16/2015 RainCityGirl said:

That was exactly my point, RainCityGirl. You and I were posting at the same time. Smile

LOL. Great minds think alike.

Honored Contributor

We are no longer a manufacturing nation because of businesses, both big and small, being over regulated. Throw in the highest tax rate in the global business world, and we have what any mathematician can easily figure out the results. I worked 33 years in a manufacturing plant which at one time had 7,500 workers. That building is now sitting idle and has been for many years now.

The company? Hey, it is doing fine(AT&T), just in other countries. I had many jobs starting at age 8, and was never hired by anyone that was poor. If an owner, with money, can efficiently run a more profitable business elsewhere, why run it here? Major corporations have shareholders to please. Everyone ask themselves: "if you had a lot of shares would you like to see their value shrink"? I don't think so!

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Sorry, double post