Honored Contributor

The Deep Blue Sea...

[ Edited ]

When we discussed favorite historical topics, I forgot the history of oceans.  I have a fascination with them, tinged with a slight fear at their vastness and ability to swallow things up. 

The deep enameled blue of the rock-strewn Atlantic off the coast of Maine is a favorite memory.  As for the Pacific, once while visiting my realtor uncle in southern California, he took us to see one of his listed houses on the coast.  It was an empty, fairy tale house, unbelievably lovely, and the view of the sparkling, dancing Pacific through the huge windows is my top memory of the Pacific.

I'd most like to see the Indian Ocean and the South Pacific.  Interesting note:  I think I've always called the ocean around the Antarctic, the Antarctic Ocean.  But it seems that the "Southern Ocean" is in more common use for that body of water.  Does anyone know about that?

Just heard of this:  

"Sea Power:  The History and Geopolitics of the World's Oceans", by retired Admiral James Stavridis.   It's a new book that won't even be out for another 2 weeks.  Can't wait!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Do you do cruises?

Honored Contributor

I honestly do not even have a normal healthy fear of the ocean I should have.I grew up swimming in the ocean and it is as natural as breathing to me.I love to just float along and let the waves carry me, while I enjoy the sun on my face. However, the lifeguards have a different POV about that so I am frequently being called to come back in closer to shore. On those rare occasions a wave takes me under I just look for the surface and head that way.

Honored Contributor

YorkieonmyPillow, I don't cruise.  For some reason, it doesn't appeal that much, although hubby would like to cruise to Alaska sometime, so maybe we will...

151949, that sounds like a healthy attitude toward the sea...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell, if you though the ocean off SoCal was pretty, you need to see the Central Coast and points north. SoCal waters are usually an opaque olive green at the beach. In my now-home on the Central Coast the water is 90% clearer and much more tropical blue in color. Much prettier IMO than the SoCal ocean/beach I grew up with.

People don't think this is an unretouched photo, but it is:

IMG_2872.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde, although this native SoCal woman loves the breadth of our beaches (Hermosa's is yuge), I do agree with you in terms of sheer scenic beauty.

We stayed in what used to be (or still is?) the Heritage House in Mendocino (where the movie "Same Time Next Year" was filmed) and enjoyed just sitting on our balcony with this tremendous view of a somewhat dark, stormy ocean and rocky beach. We loved it so much that we bought a cool painting depicting such a scene.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3, I love when it's cloudy/rainy/stormy at the beach (not forgetting the lightning strikes at Venice 😮).

And I get hypnotized just watching and listening to the surf in winter.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

We stayed in the Heritage House a couple of times during Mendocino visits.  Oh, how I love Mendocino Heart It has everything, including the ocean and the river.

Honored Contributor

Rockaway Beach, my favorite local beach, off of Pacifica:

beach

Honored Contributor

Moonchilde, that is beautiful-- those varied, layered blues!

Noel7, what great, luschious foaming surf in that photo!  By the way-- nice to see you.  I think maybe i've missed your posts recently...