Valued Contributor

Re: The Damage Has Been Done

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

Looked at another way, the mods who are fellow posters  care about the forum, care about posters because they are also posters, know how it feels to have threads dissappear without explanation. Hired mods have no reason to care, can discriminate against posters they dislike and topics they personally oppose. If we question them, we will be banned. 

Or they could be the same people who complained a lot about posts that didn't match their point of view.  Some posts/posters may be censored more than others.  

Honored Contributor

From Q's point of view, in retrospect, they might have done better to pull the forums without advance notice.  That wouldn't have given people the chance to organize, to revolt, and set-up an alternative.

I'm just thinking out loud - not saying I'd support such an approach.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I am not damaged by any of this.  It's working out quite well staying here.

I wasn't interested in going to a forum that is moderated by fellow posters.  

I'm sure that most forums are moderated as mentioned above--and it's probably quite unique that QVC has their customer service reps doing the monitoring here.  But I was always comfortable with that.  It's what they were paid to do.

No damage done.  I decided if they closed these forums I wouldn't go to one of the new one talked about here.

@Lucky Charm 

I feel the most important aspect of a healthy board is good moderators performing good moderation. I'm not sure how a board will function when moderators are also active participants.

When I saw the call asking for moderators, I initially thought about throwing my hat in the ring. With my sleep issues, I could take the late night shift 😄. I am confident I could do a good job because to me adhering to guidelines,  honesty and fairness are paramount to a board's success. 

And then I came to my senses.😄😄😄

Oversight is important, though my own view isn't that moderation is most important. For me, that honor goes to a willingness on the part of participants to cooperate. To cooperate with each other, with the managers and with the few common sense rules put in place. We're seeing a lot of positive regard on the new boards and while some of that might be a honeymoon period sort of thing, it seems more a true appreciation of a site where the climate is not so restrictive and where there's every reason to believe oversight will not be capricious or uneven nor will it involve the routine gutting of threads. Moreover, a virtual and ever-increasing litany of what's verboten simply doesn't work.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Venezia  I wasn't going to jump in Pro-boards the  very same  week as Qs announcement  to close boards , nor was I planning to wait until Nov. 2nd.  As @Johnnyeager  aptly said check on Nov. 2nd!

I wrote down the information for Pro-boards in case I needed it.  For me,  I just wanted to wait and see without undue frustration  time loss and panic.  Who knows? I agree, wait and see. Time will tell, as most situations in life, advantages and disadvantages.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

From Q's point of view, in retrospect, they might have done better to pull the forums without advance notice.  That wouldn't have given people the chance to organize, to revolt, and set-up an alternative.

@ValuSkr  - When they shut down the forums permanently in 2022, I bet they won't give any notice then.  They won't want a repeat of what happened this week.  

Valued Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr  - When they shut down the forums permanently in 2022, I bet they won't give any notice then.  They won't want a repeat of what happened this week.  

Please stop spending that QVC will permanently close the forums in 2022. You have NO proof, yet you keep saying it. Why are you here saying that? The posters that are here are happy and enjoying the forums.

Go and enjoy your new board...

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified - Thanks for the suggestion, but nothing has changed on my desktop settings.  The only thing that has changed is what happened when the Q made some kind of changes to their system quite a while back.

At the time, there were comments from numerous posters and the mods were relaying what they could to the I.T. team, as far as I knew.

Another example of what changed was trying to do a search in the "As Is" clearance section.  I used to be able to select several different brands to check out at the same time.  Now, if I try to do that, it reverts to a search of new items.  I have to select one brand at a time, which is nonsense.

I just tried that now on my iPad and it does the same thing, so it's not just an issue with MS Edge or the device.

I'm beyond worrying about it.  If the Q doesn't want to get their team to sort it out, that's up to them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be surprised if many here did not visit other social media sites before the announcement was given here about closing.

There are several different groups I joined, many on Facebook, but I still always visit here. Please take that into account when you see others saying they belong, or just joined, other social media websites. It does not mean they will not come here.

Thought I would add that to this mix of posts by others.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

As to the subject ot moderators posting on the board:   The other boards (unrelated to this) I've been with for many years have moderators who post right along with us.  There have not been problems with that at all and I've belonged to one of them for about the same amt of time I've been here, over 17 years, and the other one for 8 or 10 years.

Heck, sometimes the mods here post.  Nobody gets hurt.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@pugvette74 wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Please stop spending that QVC will permanently close the forums in 2022. You have NO proof, yet you keep saying it. Why are you here saying that? The posters that are here are happy and enjoying the forums.

Go and enjoy your new board...

@pugvette74  - I can participate in both boards if I choose.  I love the Q and spend a good amount $$ each month here.  I'm just warning everyone to have a backup plan for when the boards shut down.  To think the Q boards will remain open indefinitely is not rational thinking, in my opinion.