Honored Contributor

Re: The Cicada Saga continues

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Okay, so I'm now in NJ and I've never heard of them.  They are also supposed to be in NC, but not along the coast?   Don't think I've ever seen one there.  Owned homes in Delaware along the coast and never saw one.  Do they sound like crickets?  Are they yet to come to NJ beaches?  I'm dreading this!  Nothing on the news about them, but we get our news out of Philly which is an hour away.  I am freaked out! 

If you haven't seen them, then they aren't there.  At least the 17 year one.  There was 15 year one.  Although it was in Maryland, where we lived, we didn't get them.  So it might be in your state, but precisely  where you live, won't get them. New York state had them for example, but not everywhere in the state. This big brood will only be around til mid June.

Esteemed Contributor

My sister and I learned about Cicadas at a very young age.  When our father was building our summer home on Long Island we heard them at night just as we were getting ready to sleep. 

It took a while to get used to them and as with any thing else, we got so used to them we didn't even hear tham anymore.  I am happy to say we didn't have them flying at us or attacking us as with some of the posters here.  Woman Tongue

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well today was the WORST day of cicadas.  I went out to get the mail.  The cicadas were sitting all over the mail box.  Finally I gingerly opened the box and got my mail.  I was excited to see a Barefoot Dream top in the pouch.  So I opened up and happily admired my purchase.....when I happened to look down next to me (on my bed)  A huge cicada was sitting there looking back and me.  It had hitched a ride on my package when I took it in to the house.  Without thinking, I got up opened the toilet.  Picked it up and dropped in down and flushed it. From now on, I will have to shake the mail before I take it in.

Sorry, god.  But I killed my first cicada.