Esteemed Contributor

The Children's Song from Hitchcock's movie "The Birds"

Yesterday, in honor of the acting career of Rod Taylor, TCM showed several of his movies, one of which was Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds." So, I sat down and watched this movie for perhaps the 20th time, again wondering what the children in the clapboard school were singing, as the crows massed outside on the monkey bars. The song was an unfamiliar one, so on the internet I hopped, thinking I'd place it here should I find it, for others may be interested as well.

The Children’s Song

from

The Birds

I married my wife in the month of June. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!
I carried her off in a silver spoon. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!

She combed her hair but once a year. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!

With every rake, she shed a tear. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!

She swept the floor but once a year. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!
She swore her broom was much too dear. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!

She churned the butter in Dad’s old boot. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!
And for a dasher she used her foot. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!

The butter came out a grizzle-y-grey. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!

The cheese took legs and ran away! Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!

I brought my wife a horse one day. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!

She let the critter get away. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, willoby-wallaby, Now, now, now!

I asked my wife to wash the floor. Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, Now, now, now!

She gave me my hat and showed me the door! Ristle-tee, rostle-tee, hey donny dostle-tee, knickety-knackety, retro-quo-quality, (the song slows – it is near the end) willoby-wallaby, Noooow, noooow, now!

Honored Contributor

Re: The Children's Song from Hitchcock's movie ""The Birds""

Funny how songs are identified w/ the movie w/ a particular scene...this song sounds eerie when I hear it. Much like ""Goodbye Horses"" by Q Lazzarus w/ 'Silence of the Lambs'. Eerie.

Esteemed Contributor

On the extras commentary of the special DVD version the scriptwriter mentioned that he wrote extra verses to this old song so that there would be enough time for the huge flock of birds to gather while the children sang. He noted that he still gets residual checks when the movie is run on television as he is the partial composer.

Honored Contributor

Funny! I do not even recall the song?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

As far as I know, it's called 'Risselty Rosselty' and is of Scottish origin. To me it just sounds like a typical children's song that one learns in school and frequently doesn't make too much sense.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Johnnyeager said:

On the extras commentary of the special DVD version the scriptwriter mentioned that he wrote extra verses to this old song so that there would be enough time for the huge flock of birds to gather while the children sang. He noted that he still gets residual checks when the movie is run on television as he is the partial composer.

That's interesting to know, given the "...retro quo quality..." line. It sort of jumped out at me and didn't seem to quite belong.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Issiestorm said:

As far as I know, it's called 'Risselty Rosselty' and is of Scottish origin. To me it just sounds like a typical children's song that one learns in school and frequently doesn't make too much sense.

Thanks for providing an origin. I thought it might have been Great Britain, but Scottish is even better!

Esteemed Contributor

Another interesting twist to this movie which someone once pointed out to me: the lovebirds are a major plot device and, of course, a couple. All of the principal human characters are single: Mitch, his mother, Melanie, Annie, the farmer killed by birds seems single, even the woman in the diner with two children is traveling alone. I don't think there is a non-bird couple highlighted in the film. Some strange Hitchcock commentary on marriage? Something to ponder.