Trusted Contributor

Aldi's has a 14 oz jar of organic, unprocessed coconut oil for $4.99. Read up on benefits here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/coconut-oil-benefits_n_1625631.html

Respected Contributor
I Haven't tried aldi's , I use spectrum virgin organic as my body moisturizer after I shower, and put a spoon full in my hot chocolate. Love the delicate coconut flavor/fragrance.
Respected Contributor

A lot of brands come in plastic jars....don't know if Aldi's does. I always buy the brand that is in a glass jar.

Trusted Contributor

Coconut oil is hype an a fad. While it may work well s a moisturizers (as many other oils do), its "health" benefits are speculative, not proven, and cannot stand up to scrutiny. This article claims that coconut oil has a low smoke point while describing its cooking properties (which indicate a high smoke point); if the article cannot get basic terminology right, how can it be trusted at all?

Respected Contributor

I read that it's all hype too. One just doesn't know what to believe nowadays.

Honored Contributor

They've been giving horses coconut oil forever and if you have a dog prone to dry skin, giving it to him as a supplement will help eliminate it. The dry skin, not the dog.

Trusted Contributor

OP here. I just posted this as an FYI for anyone that uses coconut oil. It comes in a glass jar. I use it as a moisturizer. It has a lovely, light coconut scent, and keeps your skin soft.

Trusted Contributor
I'm in a support group for women going into menopause. Many of the women use it for dryness down below and say it is a life saver.
Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Lynneuk said: I'm in a support group for women going into menopause. Many of the women use it for dryness down below and say it is a life saver.

You mean women are using it in place of Astroglide or a similar product? If so, I can't believe that would be wise. Just my opinion, but I'd never insert that stuff that's usually made in a foreign country whose factory might be filthy. But, even if it was made in the USA, it's still not pharmaceutical grade. Pharmaceutical grade follows strict regulatory guidelines. I don't know, I'd have to talk to a lot of medical professionals about this before ever using it that way.

Honored Contributor

I would use a food grade product over a product like Astroglide that has many chemicals. Chemicals are never a good idea.