Trusted Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner charges?

I agree with the majority here in that it is rude.  You shouldn't invite people over as your GUESTS and later on announce there is a fee.  Very odd and rude.  At the very least, they should pay for the meal and ask that you bring dessert and a bottle of wine.  

I would not go.  I would rather cook a smaller scale meal at home with the food that we prefer and enjoy the leftovers afterwards.  

Esteemed Contributor

Seems to me the invitation should have been discussed in full detail  before  your Husband accepted the offer.

Maybe , the dinner  plans changed . Maybe the lady decided not to cook , but in any event  asking you to pay for dinner at her home that she was having catered  by a restaurant should have been discussed with you first .

If she is a very good friend and you really would like to share fellowhood with them , than I'd  give them the money this time since your Husband accepted and you may not want any uncomfortable  relationship at church  with them  , but I'd be wise if there are any future invitations .

Honored Contributor

I understand entertaining can be expensive.  If money is an issue I'd say to people that we want to get together on Thanksgiving at our house rather than go to a restaurant, but instead of cooking we thought we'd order from Acme Restaurant, so people can pick out what they want, and it will be a go-dutch thing but we'll have drinks and deserts and pick up the food.

So you could order and pay for it ahead and we'd pick it up and have everything ready when you get here.

IF I were going to do that.

IF it were me and I couldn't afford it, I'd say "Come on Thanksgiving afternoon for turkey soup", or turkey chili or cold cuts and watch a ballgame, etc.  Even a pot of beans and cornbread. . . 

I'm not proud that way.  It's about having a good time!

Respected Contributor

uhhhhh this is a new one on me.how gutsy and rude.i think i would be sick that day

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

You know---I'm not sure it is rude or not. If you were cooking a whole dinner and invited another couple over, you would be paying alot more for everything plus your time and effort. Would you ask to be reimbursed for that? $25 a  person sounds pretty reasonable to me for a whole dinner. Maybe it was the way it was presented to your hubby. And maybe she is providing appetizers and drinks? And you are not stuck at all--if this is so appalling, cancel. Not a big thing to me.

@wagirl    Of course it's rude. Since when is it appropriate to invite someone to dinner and then call back and say if you want to come to dinner it's $25 per person? Appalling to say the least. It doesn't matter what a restaurant would charge. These are friends not a business trying to make a profit.  If I could not afford to serve the dinner without asking for contributions I would not order it and I would prepare a Thanksgiving dinner to serve to my guests.  A thanksgiving dinner with turkey for 4 people even this year would not cost $100. If the invited guests offered to bring something I would suggest a bottle of wine or a dessert. I am never shocked at the lack of manners exhibited by some these days. As my mother would say who raised these people?

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's odd but I wouldn't call it rude. If you like this couple (and prefer not to be alone) then I'd fork over the money and hope the catered food is wonderful. Another option is to let the hosts you changed your mind and will stay home this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Seems to me the invitation should have been discussed in full detail  before  your Husband accepted the offer.

Maybe , the dinner  plans changed . Maybe the lady decided not to cook , but in any event  asking you to pay for dinner at her home that she was having catered  by a restaurant should have been discussed with you first .

If she is a very good friend and you really would like to share fellowhood with them , than I'd  give them the money this time since your Husband accepted and you may not want any uncomfortable  relationship at church  with them  , but I'd be wise if there are any future invitations .

I certainly agree @skatting44  they should go. I'm saying this and some might not agree, so what else is new, but I think @Duckncover  should not embarrass her husband by not going.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

we were recently invited to a friend's 80th birthday party....small group.....at a small restaurant.....his wife...the hostess....said we would have to pay for our own meals....we have known these people for a long time....and know the cost of throwing this party wouldn't have been an issue.....my husband went.....but it was definitely a no for me....i thought it was insulting......

@nana59  really? insulting? We do this often. Some of us even pick up the tab for one or two from a family . I guess we are just different. Going to a birthday dinner on Friday and the same thing will be done. We whisper to the waitress I'll pay for the one in what color clothing they are wearing. I'll take the one in the blue and so on.

it was a surprise party....with a written invitation.....thought of it like getting a wedding invitation....and paying for your own meal.....

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of this being done. I would not have a problem with it as long I knew from the beginning that it was the plan. I'm not sure why your husband didn't consult with you prior to accepting the invite. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Yes, it's odd but I wouldn't call it rude. If you like this couple (and prefer not to be alone) then I'd fork over the money and hope the catered food is wonderful. Another option is to let the hosts you changed your mind and will stay home this year. 

@AuntG  I agree about going and enjoying the company. 

@Duckncoversaid her husband likes the couple, don't remember if @Duckncover  does (it's a long time since I read the OP, I'll check it again) Don't embarrass your husband. GO!!

@Duckncover  might come back and say she had a great time. Wish she would come back now and say something.