Super Contributor

Do you write/receive hand written thank you notes?  I like to write thank you notes.  Even when I get gifts that are not my taste I feel I need to thank the person that gave it.  If it is a hygiene product (lotion, bath gel etc) I donate it to our women's shelter.  Last year I received several thank you notes  as a text message and that was fine.  

Respected Contributor

This is very timely.  I just wrote 2 notes this morning.  Two friends took me out to dinner for my birthday and gave me gift cards.  I sent each of them a hand written note.

Honored Contributor

I still write them when the situation comes up....   mail them off...

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank you notes

[ Edited ]

i only write them if I'm not able to thank the giver in person at the time that the gift is given. Even then, I'm more likely to send an email or text message than sit down and write a note.  After hand writing nearly 500 thank you notes for memorial gifts when my Dad passed away, I'm over it. Yes, yes, I know. Surely I was raised in a barn with no manners or appropriate breeding, but that's how I do it. Since we no longer exchange gifts in our family, it's not a problem. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I only send thank you notes or cards when someone from out of state or out of the country has sent me a gift.  If it's someone I see often, I send a thank you text or email.  I honestly don't believe that how you feel about the gift matters at all.  A gift you hate deserves a thank as much as a gift you love.  In situations where I am exchanging gifts with people, face to face.  I don't follow up with another thank you.  Like when our group gets together for our holiday luncheon in January, we exchange gifts.  We open them while we are together and we thank each other in person.   

Honored Contributor

I send and receive thank you notes. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I do send thank you notes.  I have chiuldren and make sure that they send them too.

Respected Contributor

Attended a wedding shower and wedding (same bride) in early summer. Gave $300 in cash between the two events. Never heard a word.

Honored Contributor

My dear sweet Dad was a faithful letter writer. When I was little living in NJ and G'Parents lived in OH, every Sunday after breakfast he sat at the desk upstairs in a spare room and wrote - actually printed a letter to them. After I grew up and we all moved to OH, I lived out of town and he sat a different desk and printed me letters. Oh how I wish I had them to read over again....

I digress....yes when we (me and 2 sibs) were little (again in NJ) never a Christmas went by that he didn't call each of us to the desk and hand write or print as best we could, thank you notes to our G'Parents. Of course the opposite happened after we moved to OH and wrote thank you's to the relatives we left behind in NJ.

There is nothing as easy and for sure as very special to send out very important thank you's for loved ones. They feel good too!

Honored Contributor

I prefer thank you calls. Much more fun and detailed to give and receive.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr