Honored Contributor

This summer we attended a wedding, a 50th anniversary party and a 40th birthday party. Altogether we are out about $300 in gifts and as yet not even a thank you e mail from any of them. The birthday was just a few weeks ago but the wedding was in June and the 50th was in July. I guess thank you notes are no longer in style. I think we should all just pretend that giving gifts is also no longer in style.

Trusted Contributor

Not a fan of the preprinted thank-you note.  It shows no effort on the part of the sender, kind of like those Christmas cards we've all received with no signature ~ let's not forget the computer-generated address label that goes with it, lol.  I suppose it's better than not getting a thank-you at all (been there) but a handwritten note is so much nicer to receive.  When we got married I sat my you-know-what down and wrote each and every person a thank you note.  I was sure to mention the gift in my note and how it will be put to use in our lives together.  That's just me... :-) 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This summer we attended a wedding, a 50th anniversary party and a 40th birthday party. Altogether we are out about $300 in gifts and as yet not even a thank you e mail from any of them. The birthday was just a few weeks ago but the wedding was in June and the 50th was in July. I guess thank you notes are no longer in style. I think we should all just pretend that giving gifts is also no longer in style.

Oh yeah I forgot - the person who was 40 that we gave a gift to also had a 7th birthday party for her son - we haven't gotten a TY for that either, but at least we got a TY and a hug from him at the party.

Super Contributor

Late this summer we attended a lovely country wedding.  The bride was a friend of our children and we have been family friends since the kids were all in school together. Now this "bride" is an English Phd, has a busy career and a very active social life.  She sent us a hand written, beautifully worded thank you note less than two weeks after her wedding.  Hearing from her so promptly really impressed me and made me so glad that we had  made a big effort to attend her big day.  It meant a lot to me and reminded me that kindness/thoughtfulness is still in my world!

Esteemed Contributor

When I was engaged, I was given two lovely bridal showers, receiving many well thought out gifts from each senders. 

I suppose the count was about one hundred gifts, thirty five well wishers whom attended, from each shower.

I was so very grateful in receiving more than sixty gifts, and well appreciated, to say the least.

This is another impolite behavior of today's society -at-its- best, and to me this is not an acceptable piece of any thing close to having ETIQUETTE of any form or any age. 

I loved those whom cared enough, for us to be part of their engaging for our happiness and those who did attend. 

I bought the most lovely paper with a small symbol at the top corner, writing a generous "thank you" to each and every one, ` as personal ` or different message from the last. 

I was taught to be gracious with my notes since I was very young; I maintain that ~ART~ still to this day.

Not long ago, I had befriended a poster two years ago, and 'as' it came about, we exchanged addresses. I sent her a very created note of art work from colored card stock when her husband died, unexpectedly at a young age, apparently from a heart attack.

We emailed several times which I told her not to worry about personal emailing, that we could post through the community health forums, which we did. She appeared to be quite busy with her life and business as usual, after the death. That I understood.

I did not require anything from this, and told her if she needed help, please extend that need to me.

Then came a grandchild and I understood that, also. Later in May of this year, I again wrote her a self made Birthday card speaking to her about her decease husband, remembering that, too, his birthday had passed, that I remembered that also.

To this day she has not acknowledged anything to my thoughts or concern in those many days of darkness. She is doing fine and has been on the boards.

(...somewhat off the thread): ...

Looking back, now, I know that previously to my knowing her, there was another poster whom she followed, so I figure that out ~she became absent on here... but with me _not_ writing someone, also -here- was going against her grain.

How very rude! Both of them~

I am very particular with whom I let in to my life and certainly stopped all communication with 'said poster, both she and the other poster who I believe stays on quite frequently.

Both have muti problems, so I have forgiven those two, but with not answering back with a simple two worded :

Thank You

is well beneath my association of even asking. Maybe, that is what is happening to many letter writers?

"TO the Original Poster, I do understand your question, even though your situation was nothing near to mine". I wish you the best of days to come and please know from me, people in general have absolutely little ~as some one said~ Old Fashion common courtesy. 

What happens to people in their lives, I have no idea

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

When I was engaged, I was given two lovely bridal showers, receiving many well thought out gifts from each senders. 

I suppose the count was about one hundred gifts, thirty five well wishers whom attended, from each shower.

I was so very grateful in receiving more than sixty gifts, and well appreciated, to say the least.

This is another impolite behavior of today's society -at-its- best, and to me this is not an acceptable piece of any thing close to having ETIQUETTE of any form or any age. 

I loved those whom cared enough, for us to be part of their engaging for our happiness and those who did attend. 

I bought the most lovely paper with a small symbol at the top corner, writing a generous "thank you" to each and every one, ` as personal ` or different message from the last. 

I was taught to be gracious with my notes since I was very young; I maintain that ~ART~ still to this day.

Not long ago, I had befriended a poster two years ago, and 'as' it came about, we exchanged addresses. I sent her a very created note of art work from colored card stock when her husband died, unexpectedly at a young age, apparently from a heart attack.

We emailed several times which I told her not to worry about personal emailing, that we could post through the community health forums, which we did. She appeared to be quite busy with her life and business as usual, after the death. That I understood.

I did not require anything from this, and told her if she needed help, please extend that need to me.

Then came a grandchild and I understood that, also. Later in May of this year, I again wrote her a self made Birthday card speaking to her about her decease husband, remembering that, too, his birthday had passed, that I remembered that also.

To this day she has not acknowledged anything to my thoughts or concern in those many days of darkness. She is doing fine and has been on the boards.

(...somewhat off the thread): ...

Looking back, now, I know that previously to my knowing her, there was another poster whom she followed, so I figure that out ~she became absent on here... but with me _not_ writing someone, also -here- was going against her grain.

How very rude! Both of them~

I am very particular with whom I let in to my life and certainly stopped all communication with 'said poster, both she and the other poster who I believe stays on quite frequently.

Both have muti problems, so I have forgiven those two, but with not answering back with a simple two worded :

Thank You

is well beneath my association of even asking. Maybe, that is what is happening to many letter writers?

"TO the Original Poster, I do understand your question, even though your situation was nothing near to mine". I wish you the best of days to come and please know from me, people in general have absolutely little ~as some one said~ Old Fashion common courtesy. 

What happens to people in their lives, I have no idea

NAES

Thank you for reading.

Esteemed Contributor

Your family member said Thank You for the gift.

Respected Contributor

@JerseyGirlNJ wrote:

What are your thoughts on pre-printed thank you notes? Maybe I am old fashioned and like hand written thank you notes. I recently received a printed thank you, no written signature from my niece for her son's baptism gift. My other niece did the same thing for her wedding.

I prefer a personal touch in my own handwriting although one gift I received via UPS was extraordinary and I called up that person on the phone to tell her how much I loved it and how I will always cherish it because it came from her who I love so much....my dear aunt.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank You notes

[ Edited ]

Hmmmmmmm, I just had a thought.  Maybe the reason people don't send written Thank You notes is because they can't print well and can spell simple words.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank You notes

[ Edited ]

I'm finding this also!  I feel if I could take the time and money to get someone a gift the least they could do is write me a thank you card(pre-printed or otherwise). The last four gifts I've given, one going on over a year ago, I've yet to receive a thank you for. Two were baby showers and two were  graduations. I vowed to not give or send anymore gifts unless I absoluteltly have too!  I don't understand what's wrong with these young people. They just are not taught or do not have any manners nowadays! 

BTW, I do prefer handwritten thank you notes but would appresciate any kind.  My ddil wrote a handwritten thank you to all two hundred fifty guests last year for her and ds's wedding!Smiley Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran