Honored Contributor

My mother taught me to write thank you notes when I was a child. I still hand write them. I hand write thank yous for every birthday, graduation, bridal gift, etc. received. I write notes thanking people who did something nice for me that really helped me. I also handwrite thank yous for Christmas gifts I receive from students. This is my 30th year teaching so that's a lot of thank yous. 

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I'm finding this also!  I feel if I could take the time and money to get someone a gift the least they could do is write me a thank you card(pre-printed or otherwise). The last four gifts I've given, one going on over a year ago, I've yet to receive a thank you for. Two were baby showers and two were  graduations. I vowed to not give or send anymore gifts unless I absoluteltly have too!  I don't understand what's wrong with these young people. They just are not taught or do not have any manners nowadays! 

BTW, I do prefer handwritten thank yous but would appresciate any kind.  My ddil wrote a handwritten thank you to all two hundred fifty guests last year for her and ds's wedding!Smiley Happy

Your ddil was brought up right and I am sure the guests appreciated receiving them.

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

Hmmmmmmm, I just had a thought.  Maybe people don't send written Thank You notes is because they can't print well and can spell simple words.

Sooooo true. My daughter's penmanship is deplorable and she HATES to write. I feel she is always typing and does not write. This use to be worked on in school but not so much any more. Spelling now stops in the 7th grade and vocab is not taught anymore.....don't get me started. These are life skills that are not being addressed.

Respected Contributor

I write thank you notes, always have, always will. It is thoughtful, polite and nice. Someone took the time to think of me or an event in my life, I can write a note!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

I'm finding this also!  I feel if I could take the time and money to get someone a gift the least they could do is write me a thank you card(pre-printed or otherwise). The last four gifts I've given, one going on over a year ago, I've yet to receive a thank you for. Two were baby showers and two were  graduations. I vowed to not give or send anymore gifts unless I absoluteltly have too!  I don't understand what's wrong with these young people. They just are not taught or do not have any manners nowadays! 

BTW, I do prefer handwritten thank yous but would appresciate any kind.  My ddil wrote a handwritten thank you to all two hundred fifty guests last year for her and ds's wedding!Smiley Happy

Your ddil was brought up right and I am sure the guests appreciated receiving them.

Thank you panda 123! I had offered to take our side of the list and do them for her and she said no that she wanted to write a handwritten note to everyone herself.  I was very impressed!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

Hmmmmmmm, I just had a thought.  Maybe people don't send written Thank You notes is because they can't print well and can spell simple words.

Sooooo true. My daughter's penmanship is deplorable and she HATES to write. I feel she is always typing and does not write. This use to be worked on in school but not so much any more. Spelling now stops in the 7th grade and vocab is not taught anymore.....don't get me started. These are life skills that are not being addressed.

Not only was penmanship worked on in school but manners and etiquette were also! Once when ds was younger he asked me "Ma, where do YOU get all these rules? Is there a book or something?" to which I replied "Well, yes, at least when I was growing up!" I'm so glad I taught ds's these skills and very proud that they use them!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Thank You notes

[ Edited ]

For better or worse, times change. This is far from the only area where the civility of earlier times has fallen by the wayside. I suppose an acknowledgement is an acknowledgement regardless of the form it takes. Those who prefer to send hand-written notes and cards should continue to do so, but it appears electronic cards and other short cuts are increasingly the order of the day.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think they should be hand written.

Super Contributor

while I am definitely of the "personal thank you note" generation, I understand that many younger people are not taught those manners - that being said, what I can't stand is for NO acknowledgement whatsoever...a thank you text or phone call is really all I ask for - to not even get that is just rude and inconsiderate....one stepson and his "signficant other" are particularly - in fact, she has never acknowledged a single thing I have sent to her. 

And I have to admit my own son is sometimes guilty of "forgetting" to let me know a gift or check has arrived - even though he was "required" to write thank you notes growing up.

Honored Contributor

Yes, you are old fashioned.  You are 40 behind the times.  There is nothing wrong with printed or engraved thank you cards.