Honored Contributor

Re: Texting Has Deadly Consequences

@Spurt  Happiest sight I ever saw was Houston in my rear view mirror.  I lived there 33 years and never liked it, although it was more manageable in 1965.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Here's an update....they are in the process of trying to pass the law as of mid March of this year....and this is what an idiot from Houston actually said....

For years, the bill's author, state Rep. Tom Craddick, R-Midland, has pushed legislation that would penalize drivers who use their phones on the road.

Opponents of the bill raised concerns about how a police officer could tell that a person was texting, especially because the legislation said officers could not take and inspect the phone. 

“I find it absolutely incredulous, except for Superman, who can tell what you are doing on your phone,” said Rep. Harold Dutton Jr., a Houston Democrat, who noted law enforcement may not be able to distinguish between someone who is texting or using GPS.

In response, Craddick said that law enforcement have said they can consistently tell if people are texting.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt  Happiest sight I ever saw was Houston in my rear view mirror.  I lived there 33 years and never liked it, although it was more manageable in 1965.

@Kachina624

Even native Texans don't like Houston..I'm not a native Texan but don't like it much either......LOL!  But sans Houston, there are some pretty nice places to live in Texas.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I know Tom Craddick well because I also lived in Midland.   If I can see someone texting, so can a cop and if he's a witness to it, he can write a ticket.  If the recipient disagrees, he can tell it to a judge.  At the very least, he'll be inconvenienced by having to go to court.... or pay a fine. 

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Its not hard to prove. All they have to do is get a warrant to check the phone.

@ccassaday...with the ability to send voice texts these days, it could be difficult to prove. I send a voice text to my husband while driving home from work, never taking my eyes off the road.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt  I know Tom Craddick well because I also lived in Midland.   If I can see someone texting, so can a cop and if he's a witness to it, he can write a ticket.  If the recipient disagrees, he can tell it to a judge.  At the very least, he'll be inconvenienced by having to go to court.... or pay a fine. 

@Kachina624

Cops can tell...shoot ANYONE with common sense CAN TELL!!!  In our ordinance they made it so they can't just pay the fine by mail or online, they make the texter go before a judge so he can chew their behind off.....!!!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

Even native Texans don't like Houston..I'm not a native Texan but don't like it much either......LOL!  But sans Houston, there are some pretty nice places to live in Texas.....

Born & bred in Houston. I left in 1992 due to job opportunities, but would move back home in a New York minute! I have too good a job with superior benefits, where I live now, though, to walk away. I ❤❤ Houston!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Its not hard to prove. All they have to do is get a warrant to check the phone.

@ccassaday...with the ability to send voice texts these days, it could be difficult to prove. I send a voice text to my husband while driving home from work, never taking my eyes off the road.

@SurferWife

Personally, I think ALL types of texting should be banned....even though you are a deligent driver and keep your eyes on the road....there are so many more drivers on the road who are distracted and if they use voice it distracts them while driving making them more likely to be involved in an accident!

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Born & bred in Houston. I left in 1992 due to job opportunities, but would move back home in a New York minute! I have too good a job with superior benefits, where I live now, though, to walk away. I ❤❤ Houston!!

@SurferWife  I also left in 1992, to move to Midland.  I enjoyed my time in Midland but wild horses couldn't get me back to Houston.  I won't even go to visit friends. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@SurferWife  I also left in 1992, to move to Midland.  I enjoyed my time in Midland but wild horses couldn't get me back to Houston.  I won't even go to visit friends. 

@SurferWife

To each their own....but if it smooths the ways....  I DO like JJ Watt the NFL player who plays for the Houston Texans... Woman Very HappyWoman Wink