Honored Contributor

Re: Texting Has Deadly Consequences

@ccassaday wrote:

There doesn't need to be rules for texting and driving. It's already law that if you cause a accident while driving it is negligence at the least. The law is dumb because you can't enforce it until a accident happens. 

@ccassaday  Of course cops can enforce a no texting law.  Don't you see people texting?  I do and so can the cops who can give a ticket if there is a "no texting" law.  They should not have to wait until there is an accident to enforce no texting. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It is unbelievable how many people I see texting and driving. 

Their heads are down or cocked sideways and they are hardly paying attention to the road. 

They actually drive slower than the speed limit I guess because they're so into their phones. 

It aggravates me to no end.  And that's not a good thing.

I don't see how they'll ever be able to enforce the no texting laws.  I'd say one out of every six or seven cars has someone texting.

Once out in Chicago, during a huge snowstorm, a snow plow truck as high as a house was coming around a corner.  The driver had his window open all the way and he was freaking texting.  Blanking idiot.

Honored Contributor

when i heard about this case of texting while driving i was so upset and angry.

then i thought of that case a few years ago. The rich 16 yr old who killed several people while drunk. Family was wealthy and kid got off with a slap on the hand. Mom and kid take off to Mexico. They were finally found a year or so later. I believe mom is in jail here in the US but can't remember what happened to the kid.

I do hope the law will work properly in this case.

texting and driving do not mix what so ever

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jody Kuchler, the witness who was following Jack Dillon Young,

took pics/video of Young's vehicle while driving, and the white truck 

crossed over the median line...almost on the shoulder of the 

opposite lane.  I would guess there was more than texting

causing Young's erratic driving.  My speculation..alcohol, narcotics.

As a sidenote...even though Jody Kuchler will be lauded as a 

heroic witness, it's extremely ironic HE was driving while

using his cell phone....to take pictures & video.

Hummmm. A bit of a goose-gander thing. 

IMG_1134.jpg

Honored Contributor

My DDIL was pregnant and hit by a drunk driver head on.

Thank goodness my DIL wasn't badly injured and the baby checked out fine, too!

I asked my DIL if they asked about phones and she said no.  I don't know if they didn't bother because she was rushed off in an ambulance or because the other driver was clearly drunk. 

But I think they should've asked her regardless to see her phone.  And they did come in to interview her in the hospital during the middle of the night.

In an accident investigation, everyone should be suspect about everything, especially texting, if you ask me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Can you believe texting while driving is not even illegal in Texas?  I bet it will be soon.  Lock the barn after the horse is stolen. 

@Kachina624

Not entirely true....while there is no State law, each municipality/county can pass their own ordinances banning texting while driving. ....Here in San Antonio we DO have a law against driving and texting..passed unamimously in 2014 and went into effect in 2015, .but I can tell you....you would hardly know it because people still text and drive....if a cop catches them they do get fined and must go before a judge....

Using a cell phone while driving is incredibly dangerous and should be illegal, and as such, many Texas cities have taken the initiative to ban the dangerous practice within their jurisdictions. These cities include: Alamo, Alice, Amarillo, Angleton, Anthony, Aransas Pass, Argyle, Arlington, Austin, Balcones Heights, Bedford, Bee Cave, Bellaire, Big Lake, Boerne, Brazoria, Brownsville, Buda, Canyon, Castle Hills, College Station, Conroe, Converse, Corpus Christi, Deer Park, Denton, Edinburg, El Paso, Farmers Branch, Floresville, Fredericksburg, Galveston, Garden Ridge, Grand Prairie, Groesbeck, Harlingen, Helotes, Hereford, Hill Country Village, Hurst, Jacksonville, Kingsville, Kyle, Laguna Vista, Lake Dallas, Lake Tanglewood, Lakeway, Laredo, Liberty Hill, Little Elm, Lockhart, Magnolia, Maypearl, McAllen, Meadowlakes, Midland, Midlothian, Mission, Missouri City, Mont Belvieu, Mount Pleasant, Mount Vernon, Nacogdoches, New Braunfels, Nolanville, Overton, Palmview, Pampa, Pecos, Penitas, Pharr, Port Aransas, Richwood, Rowlett, San Angelo, San Antonio, San Benito, San Juan, San Marcos, Schertz, Seagoville, Seguin, Selma, Shoreacres, Sinton, Snyder, Socorro, Stephenville, Sugar Land, Sunnyvale, Sunset Valley, Sweetwater, Tomball, University City, Watauga, West Lake Hills, West University Place, White Settlement, Wichita Falls, Wimberley, and Windcrest. Several other cities are currently looking at passing similar measures.

http://www.jrlawfirm.com/blog/texas-texting-and-driving-laws-by-city/#hands-free

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I don't see Houston or Harris Co. on your list.  Of all the places that need it.... 

I can't even text while the car is not running.  I don't know how people do it on those tiny keyboards.  I guess some aren't very good at it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt  I don't see Houston or Harris Co. on your list.  Of all the places that need it.... 

I can't even text while the car is not running.  I don't know how people do it on those tiny keyboards.  I guess some aren't very good at it. 

@Kachina624

Well Kachina...there ya go....that's H town for ya ......Woman Wink  And yes with all the traffic congestion and problems that the've become famous for you'd think that they'd be one of the first cities to pass a law!!!!  But well....that arent exactly known as a city with common sense....

A relative lives up in the northeast....and he said his friends are selling their home and moving to Houston to be near their grandchildren.....he tried to warn them, move anywhere in Texas, but Houston and tried to tell them of all the pitfalls...I'm wondering how long before they move back up north....Woman LOL

But your right after this tragic accident, which was given national attention, I bet the current governor finally gets a State law passed.....Personally it just amazes me how people can't stay away from their phones for even a brief period of time -----can't they wait until they arrive at their destination before they start texting....!!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@QVCkitty1. Whether he was texting, fell asleep at the wheel or drinking a Pepsi, there's a law about vehicular manslaughter. That definitely has jail time. 

@Shanus many people who cause deaths in car accidents get no jail time.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

There doesn't need to be rules for texting and driving. It's already law that if you cause a accident while driving it is negligence at the least. The law is dumb because you can't enforce it until a accident happens. 

@ccassaday  Of course cops can enforce a no texting law.  Don't you see people texting?  I do and so can the cops who can give a ticket if there is a "no texting" law.  They should not have to wait until there is an accident to enforce no texting. 

It isn't enforceable. Say a cop pulls you over. You shove your phone in your purse real quick or in the console. If they ask you say no. They have no right to ask to look at your phone without a warrant.