Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Asking Texans to conserve energy? Yeah, that's going to go over real well. Most will probably lower their thermostats to 60 in defiance.

I find that insulting.

@beckyb1012 

I do too and not necessary.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Asking Texans to conserve energy? Yeah, that's going to go over real well. Most will probably lower their thermostats to 60 in defiance.

I find that insulting.

@granddi   The biggest thing about Texas, where everything is BIG, is their "nobody's going to tell me what to do" attitude.  In many places, ignorance reigns.

I lived there 35 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I find that insulting.

@beckyb1012 

I edited it to soften it when I realized how harsh it came across. I just thought it was a funny joke. An energy company asking all Texans to suddenly become eco warriors? Like being told to wear a sweater back in the 70s during the oil crisis.

It wasn't intended for anyone to take personally. No more than outsiders' comments about Chicago and California are intended to insult Chicagoans or Californian QVC customers.

Are all the negative comments about wind power and solar and electric vehicles intended to insult me personally, since I think innovatiions in energy are good for the environment and should be adopted when possible? I guess maybe those posters really are trying to put me down and insult me on a personal level. Huh.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I find that insulting.

@beckyb1012 

I edited it to soften it when I realized how harsh it came across. I just thought it was a funny joke. An energy company asking all Texans to suddenly become eco warriors? Like being told to wear a sweater back in the 70s during the oil crisis.

It wasn't intended for anyone to take personally. No more than outsiders' comments about Chicago and California are intended to insult Chicagoans or Californian QVC customers.

Are all the negative comments about wind power and solar and electric vehicles intended to insult me personally, since I think innovatiions in energy are good for the environment and should be adopted when possible? I guess maybe those posters really are trying to put me down and insult me on a personal level. Huh.

Thank you.  Texans are known for being "friendly."  I certainly try 60 years here.  Except for 2 years in Little Rock and they have the friendliest drivers.  Texas drivers scare me to death.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

They never did the upgrades to power grid after that devastating ice/snow storm????   So, you have a power grid that can't serve the needs of the public but no one does anything about it.  

Honored Contributor

If Texas upgraded their power grid, I wonder how many hands in the pot that would take? When I lost power at my house from a windstorm it took many hands in the pot to get it back. The trees that fell on the power lines also took another army of various companies to get their $%# together to get the trees removed. It was a circus around town just with that part of the recovery.

Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@On It wrote:

The wind has been eerily still. The flags were hanging limp against the flag poles Saturday and Sunday. We could not recall the last time we saw that. It is always windy. Solar should be working with all the intense sun we are having.

Isn't Texas the oil capital of the US? I didn't realize Texas had invested so much in green energy.....

@JamandBread    Surprisingly, almost all the oil produced in the US is exported.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

ERCOT regurgitates the same mantra every time: 'We didn't know it would get this bad, or this is an unprecedented event." It's weather, kids know it can get bad. History shows it can get bad. Excuses prevail. 

This morning, they're already whining that they may need to have rolling brownouts, but for only about 15 minutes. Yeah, right.

Thankfully, we made it through yesterday's temp of 107 (h.index 112) and the 104 predicted today may be less due to some clouds throughout the morning. Maybe ERCOT can handle it. 

I do my part to conserve, willing to be uncomfortable, but know others who will make no attempts to comply. It kinda sums up the problem we're having with just about everything these days. We're wasting time, and resources, butting heads. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@On It wrote:

The wind has been eerily still. The flags were hanging limp against the flag poles Saturday and Sunday. We could not recall the last time we saw that. It is always windy. Solar should be working with all the intense sun we are having.

Isn't Texas the oil capital of the US? I didn't realize Texas had invested so much in green energy.....

@JamandBread    Surprisingly, almost all the oil produced in the US is exported.

Not even close to "almost all"

The United States was a total petroleum net exporter in 2020 and 2021

In 2021, the United States exported about 8.63 million barrels per day (b/d) and imported about 8.47 million b/d of petroleum,1 making the United States an annual total petroleum net exporter for the second year in a row since at least 1949. Total petroleum net exports were about 0.16 million b/d in 2021, and total petroleum net exports in 2020 were 0.63 million b/d. Also in 2021, the United States produced2 about 18.66 million b/d of petroleum and consumed3 about 19.78 million b/d. Even though U.S. annual total petroleum exports were greater than total petroleum imports in 2020 and 2021, the United States still imported some crude oil and petroleum products from other countries to help to supply domestic demand for petroleum and to supply international markets.

The United States remained a net crude oil importer in 2021, importing about 6.11 million b/d of crude oil and exporting about 2.90 million b/d. However, some of the crude oil that the U.S. imports is refined by U.S. refineries into petroleum products—such as gasoline, heating oil, diesel fuel, and jet fuel—that the U.S. exports. Also, some of imported petroleum may be stored and subsequently exported.

Respected Contributor

Until technology comes up with higher yield methods there will not be enough.  That's where all that infrastructure funding should be going.