Honored Contributor

I do not believe whopping cough is making a "comeback."  It never left.  You still hear about "adults" getting wc from time to time.

I had whopping cough when I was in my 40's.  I wouldn't wish wc on my worst enemy.  I still have vivid memories as if it happend yesterday.

Very painful.  My chect was on fire every time I coughed.  If you ever seen the movie (series) Alien, that is what I went through 10xs over.  Had to sleep upright for approximately 2 weeks.  Was out of work for a month because I was contageous.  Had to send the kids to the grands w/hubby.  The only relief was codine cough medicine.  Was drinking that stuff straight from the bottle.  Good thing I had an understanding doctor! Smiley Very Happy

My dr suspected I caught it from someone at a supermarket since no one else in my family had it.  Also, no one on the job either.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

Yes, it is recommended that anyone planning to be close to a newborn have what they're calling "Tdap".  That stands for tetanus, diptheria,and pertussis (whooping cough).

We all had the shot (quick, easy and no pain) before my great grandson was born 7 months ago.     Just another protection for precious babies!

Esteemed Contributor

When my daughter had her twins, we had to get the Whooping Cough shot. Didn't have any side effects.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@KentuckyWoman @cherry   Will check re DPT but daughter only spoke about Tetanus (maybe she means DPT?) I did have a Tetanus booster last Sept. not sure what we are supposed to do now but will check with Dr. and daughter.

Thank you for you information Ladies very helpful.

@dulwich   Your booster should be enough. 

Gosh, this is another thing that never used to be done ---- and we all survived!

I'm sure my relatives didn't have tetanus shots when they vistied me as a baby.  

I lived through that, no seat belts, no helmet on  when riding my bkke,  no 20 mph school zones, etc, etc, etc. .  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

@KentuckyWoman @cherry   Will check re DPT but daughter only spoke about Tetanus (maybe she means DPT?) I did have a Tetanus booster last Sept. not sure what we are supposed to do now but will check with Dr. and daughter.

Gosh, this is another thing that never used to be done ---- and we all survived!

I lived through that, no seat belts, no helmet on  when riding my bkke,  no 20 mph school zones, etc, etc, etc. .  

It has been established that Pertussis is the issue here, not tetanus.  It can be deadly to babies.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

@Pearlee, nope.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

You obviously lived through all that, but the ones who didn't live through it are not here to tell their story.

Honored Contributor

Not measles?

Esteemed Contributor

@valgators wrote:

Yes, it is recommended that anyone planning to be close to a newborn have what they're calling "Tdap".  That stands for tetanus, diptheria,and pertussis (whooping cough).

We all had the shot (quick, easy and no pain) before my great grandson was born 7 months ago.     Just another protection for precious babies!

It's common for patients who need tetanus shots to be asked if they have young children or grandchildren because that determines exactly what should be administered.

I needed a tetanus shot last year, and was given Td, which does not protect against pertussis.  If I had young children or grandchildren, it would have been Tdap, which does.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I do not believe whopping cough is making a "comeback."  It never left.  You still hear about "adults" getting wc from time to time.

I had whopping cough when I was in my 40's.  I wouldn't wish wc on my worst enemy.  I still have vivid memories as if it happend yesterday.

Very painful.  My chect was on fire every time I coughed.  If you ever seen the movie (series) Alien, that is what I went through 10xs over.  Had to sleep upright for approximately 2 weeks.  Was out of work for a month because I was contageous.  Had to send the kids to the grands w/hubby.  The only relief was codine cough medicine.  Was drinking that stuff straight from the bottle.  Good thing I had an understanding doctor! Smiley Very Happy

My dr suspected I caught it from someone at a supermarket since no one else in my family had it.  Also, no one on the job either.

I have an aunt in her late 80's who had whooping cough as a child, and she still talks about how awful it was.  She describes the exact sound of the "whoop" very well.  I remember hearing her talk about it decades ago, so clearly it's a memory that has stayed with her too.

(As for myself, I've never had whooping cough, but there have been many times when codeine cough syrup was my very best friend.)  :-)