Respected Contributor

My daughter expecting baby in June - just got text from her after her baby check appointment - that anyone who is going to be around the newborn must have had Tetanus shot within last 10 years.

I have never heard of this before I guess it is a new preventative method - my other daughter who delivered in the same area/hospital was never told this.  Just wondered if this is regular occurrence now.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich   i am not sure if you can get just a tetanus shot? I got a DPT shot a year or so ago, and I will tell you I was sick enough to die from it

I told my Dr I would never get another. It protects you from tetanus, whooping cough and diphtheria

Respected Contributor

Re: Tetanus shot question

[ Edited ]

We had to get a DPT shot three months before or last grandchild was born.  (diphtheria, pertussis aka whooping cough, and tetanus)  In our area, it is a standard operating procedure.  Mostly they are concerned about pertussis or whooping cough which can be fatal to infants and small children.  I've never heard of requiring just a tetanus shot though.  Usually you get all three in one shot.

Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman @cherry   Will check re DPT but daughter only spoke about Tetanus (maybe she means DPT?) I did have a Tetanus booster last Sept. not sure what we are supposed to do now but will check with Dr. and daughter.

Thank you for you information Ladies very helpful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tetanus shot question

[ Edited ]

Because of out of country travel, I get them.

The last time I had one it was possible to have just the tetanus.

Don’t know if that is still done.

I have had no problem post injection, and I’m usually the ‘canary in the mine’.

*** Edited to add, have also had just tetanus inj. per Doc. orders x2 post TKN 12 years apart.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@cherry   How did this DPT shot affect you?  must have been just awful for you.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 small grandkids, and I would never get a tetanus shot unless something happened to me to need one like a brush with a metal or something. Last time i got one I was sick from it and did not sleep for 5 nights in a row, never again!!

Trusted Contributor

It’s a Tdap shot and is recommended that anyone who is going to be close to/handling the baby should have one. Nobody I know ever got sick from it. 

Honored Contributor

I have 2 small grandkids, and I would never get a tetanus shot unless something happened to me to need one like a brush with a metal or something. Last time i got one I was sick from it and did not sleep for 5 nights in a row, never again!! And yes of course, you can just get a shot for tetanus. 

Honored Contributor

@dulwich   I have never had any vaccine do this to me. I don't know if it is because I am old, or if they change the formula? I had them when I was a kid

I started feeling really sick in the night and I got up and went into the bathroom. I started shaking ,and was covered in an ice cold sweat. I mean really drenched. I was so weak I couldn't even stand. I thought I was going to faint

I don't know how long it was before I felt strong enough to stagger back to bed. It took everything I had to walk the short distance. I held onto the wall

The next morning I was better, but still felt ghastly. The Dr said it was a bad reaction to the shot, and not to worry. I would never need another, unless sometime I was in a bad accident  or something like that