Honored Contributor

Re: Testing, Testing, Testing

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

It's a cornerstone of the national plan that was published yesterday. It's a requirement to go into Phase One.

HUM....not seeing anything about requiring mass testing as a requirement.  In fact, just the opposite on the National side.

"Before entering the first phase, the guidelines say that the number of cases, positive tests and reports of flu- or Covid 19-like symptoms in a state or region should be trending downward"

That is NOT mass testing, that is targeted testing,  Which is what I have been saying all along,

I'm glad we agree on how important testing is. It's an April miracle. Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

We can’t even do sufficient targeted testing. We keep running out of testing supplies. And I know it’s not just here. I’ve heard multiple governors say the same thing.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mass testing?  Forget about it.  The states have been told they're on their own, that there will be no assistance for testing forthcoming.  Good luck to us all.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
We can’t even do sufficient targeted testing. We keep running out of testing supplies. And I know it’s not just here. I’ve heard multiple governors say the same thing.

That's why a national emergency was issued. Tens of millions of tests have been promised to those who need them. And more are required. The CDC and the task force have committed to providing the tests and said they were on their way.

I think someone should follow up with the task force to find out what the holdup is. Maybe the governors are already doing that. There's no reason to slow walk providing the promised tests when we have the whole country to save! There is no way out of this without mass on demand testing for everyone who needs one.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe, we are in the same boat here.  Critical shortage of swabs for the test.  And of course they aren't just Q-tip swabs as some might think.  They are made from a special material to swell once put in the reagent to ensure an accurate reading.

Add to that, there is a critical shortage of reagent.  

It's like the wild, wild west out there trying to obtain the basic supplies.  

There is some hope though, one of our universities is starting to do 3-D printing of the swabs.  If that is successful, maybe others can start 3-D printing.  Then if they can just get the reagent...........................................

***big sigh***

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

We apparently have a whole segment of the population who have no respect for the public health demographers or any experts at all.  All we can do now is shun them and empower trained people to lead the way.

What is the harm of doing millions and millions of tests like Dr. Fauci recommended?  The only downside I can see is we will know how out of control we let this virus get.  What other harm is there and who doesn't want the facts known?

Esteemed Contributor

Another aspect I have never seen addressed is the need to segregate positives and actives from the general population.

Right now we are all cut off our doctors and other services.  I am really rural and we look out for each other.  One neighbor seems to have had another stroke last week and her Neuro agreed on camera but no way will she go near the hospital.  So we are feeding her.

I think I may had the last Nuc Med from my oncologist but even that day I was too scared to wait at the lab.

We are going to need another system.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum

I agree. 

We need testing. I live in the NYC Metro area. People can not get on a train or bus without a test. How can people return to work and schools open without a test?  I don't know how you can practice social distanting on a crowded train. 

Test, test and more tests. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy 

The Governor of NYS asks the federal government to give his state money to buy testing materials. He has a news conference everyday. I am sure your governor has one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

The Governor of NYS asks the federal government to give his state money to buy testing materials. He has a news conference everyday. I am sure your governor has one. 

Please read my first post....

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.