Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

It is not my intention to start a heated debate over this.  I'm just curious. My daughter is a junior in high school.  An important year (they're all important but this one in particular).  Since the beginning of the school year (August 8th), I've noticed a lot of her teachers being absent.  My daughter said that 3 of her teachers were not there this past Monday.  One of those teachers, her History teacher wasn't there the Friday before either and then the class was told on Monday there will be a quiz on Tuesday.  However, the substitute for this class only instructed them to "read whatever they want" on the 2 days the teacher wasn't there. My aughter felt there was little instruction given before quiz. This same teacher just told the class she won't be in class this Friday (August 8th) or the next week (though they do have have the 10th - 12th, so just two days).  There hasn't been one week from school that at least 1 teacher has not been present or more.  I believe teachers work very hard and deserve time off, but is this usual?  

Big deal. They need time off just like everyone else. Reading is a good thing and kids don't do enough of it. Tell your daughter to ake advantage of it.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would discuss this issue with the school administration.  The parents have a right to know what is going on.

Do you have to share with everyone that might want to know, even if not on your work team, when you take a day off?   

Get off teachers' backs. 99% are outstanding at what they do and don't need more grief that parents and legislators are already giving them.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

We do private school.  No problems with teacher absences.

My kids went to private school K-8. Their teachers had to be out for training, personal needs, illness, sick kids, etc, just like every other person who works.   

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

We do private school.  No problems with teacher absences.

My daughter was in private school for 5 years (Kindergarten thru 4th grade).  After moving, attended public school in a highly rated school district.  When she took tests and just "little" quizzes the teacher gave to see where  students were, she was at a 3rd grade level math.  I kept in touch with those from the private school, showed them what she was doing in math, etc.  They were shocked.

It depends on the private school.

There are many that discriminate based on disability, grades, race, culture, sports, etc.

Many indoctrinate into whatever ideaology they follow, don't have the diversity of public schools/real life, and miss the boat in so many areas of life.

I sent my kids to private school K-8 but wouldn't do it again. They ranked higher than public school kids when they went to public high school.  But they also missed a lot of what makes kids well rounded while in private school.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

As a student in the 1960's and 70's, all I'll say is we rarely had substitute teachers. Those teachers had families too, but I don't think extra training sessions were scheduled during the school year. I think teachers nowadays are playing hooky!

I went to school then and had subs. They always had a teacher's class plans and life went on. 

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I have no kids! However, over 85% of my Property Taxes , goes to the School System. Thus I have a financial interest when I express my view on the present education system. 

Something has gone badly off center since the beginning of the pandemic. Billions of $$$ given to the 2 major teachers unions, to make the classrooms safer so children ciuld actually return to a classroom.

Last I heard only 15% of those billions of $$$ can be accounted for right now. What/where and why?

It is my belief that whatever amount is being spent, per student, to attend a Public School! That money should not have the student following the money. The money should be given to the students so their parents can send them to any school(private/catholic, or home schooling).

When I hear the amount being spent per student, and the most recent results, of where our country ranks in simple education! There are words I would like to use, but won't, for obvious reasons. 

My sister/2 of her kids/my brother-in-law, and my partner in Auto Racing were all teachers. 3 of them quit teaching because of all the mandates being passed down by Administrators. Two them stayed in the School System, but not teaching. All pretty much for the same, or very similar reasons.

Why would any parent not be in favor of the $$$ spent to educate their kids, be given to them, per child, as opposed to bring given to A Failing School System, when it comes to their child's education? 

hckynut  🇺🇸

Wow.  I don't know where you get your news but non-partisan facts don't agree.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Teachers get sick just like everyone else.  Do you realize how many 'sick' students they are exposed to every day?  Covid is still out there.

Teachers have personal issues just like everyone else.

Their contract would provide a certain limit on sick days.

Their contract provides a certain amount of training and professional staff days etc.

Honored Contributor

You don't want to go to the principal because he/she will direct you to the teacher.

You said the guidance counselor is less than helpful.  

Your options would be to go to a school board meeting to voice your concerns, tell your daughter when the sub is a "baby sitter" with no lesson plan to read the next chapter in the book or maybe step away and let her figure somethings out for herself.  

Are you the same parent that was concerned about PSAT's and SAT's?

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would discuss this issue with the school administration.  The parents have a right to know what is going on.

Do you have to share with everyone that might want to know, even if not on your work team, when you take a day off?   

Get off teachers' backs. 99% are outstanding at what they do and don't need more grief that parents and legislators are already giving them.

Before I was retired I worked in the private sector, thus absences were discussed only with one's supervisor.  I do not think any personal reason for the teacher's absence should be disclosed to a parent.  My suggestion is that the concerned parent contact the supervisory administrative team to discuss their general concerns.