Honored Contributor

Tax Time Yesterday Started Me Thinking.......

When I was in college (a long time ago) I wrote several articles about Surrogacy, etc. for the college newspaper.

It was just (excuse the pun) in it's infancy at that time.  The only people back then who were able to afford it were the very rich.  It's still extremely expensive.

I know someone who has a next door neighbor who's been a surrogate 2 times for famous people.  She has made a lot of money doing this.

That started me thinking, "Do you have to declare that income on your taxes?"  I googled that question and (so far) all I've been able to come up with..."It depends on who you talk to at the IRS on that particular day".

In other words, every time you call, you will get a different answer.

This person I mentioned does this strictly for the income.  She makes amazing money.  She is married (with 2 children of her own).

Has anyone else ever thought about this?  I'm curious.  Perhaps I think about it because of the articles I wrote and/or pecause I know of someone who does this strictly for the income.

I've had people say things like, "well when you consider this or that or the other......."  While writing the articles I was able (at that time) to break down the amount of money versus the hours, etc.

I guess it depends on who's paying.

Incidentally, this has nothing to do with Hoda.  The love she can give a baby is wonderful.

However, in the back of my mind I think.....'what about all of the children who need adopting and because they're already born..no one wants them?'  

That's what people say about adopting rescues (pets) versus designer dogs.

I came within a hair of being one of those older kids living in a home waiting for a home....but thanks to my older sister, I didn't have to go there.

Call the Midwife (the TV Show) touched upon this subject.  It was (of course) beautifully written.  Did anyone else see it?

What about those children?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Tax Time Yesterday Started Me Thinking.......

@Annabellethecat66 

Hoda's children are adopted not born of surrogacy. These were babies the moms gave up for adoption, from everything I've read.

So these little babes did need a home.

Honored Contributor

The monies made from being a surrogate are taxable income

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I commend any woman who becomes a surrogate.Even though they get paid they still have to carry a baby to term & then give it up.

I myself could never do that.It would destroy me emotionally.