Esteemed Contributor

When did people stop learning correct English? When did people start using the word "of" instead of "have". I see it all the time: "I should of...." or "I would of....". Is it important? I suppose in the scheme of things it isn't, but it stands out like a sore thumb to me. I suppose the contraction "would've" has now been translated into "would of". I expect to be beat up on this. That's okay.

Contributor

Re: Learning correct English

I won't beat you up, jannabelle..

I totally agree!

Perhaps " English as a first language" is no longer taught in school...

Respected Contributor

You've got a point.  The figure of speech that bothers me is when people say, "These ones here...."  These ones?  For some reason that just grinds my grits.  Cat Very Happy

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

As society becomes more and more casual so does speech and the written word. 

We have already moved past text speak to substituting words with emojis.  There is also the problem of autocorrect which can be a disaster unto itself.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1  - I agree with you!!  It does annoy me when I see "of" and not "have" and I see it often!

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

When did people stop learning correct English? When did people start using the word "of" instead of "have". I see it all the time: "I should of...." or "I would of....". Is it important? I suppose in the scheme of things it isn't, but it stands out like a sore thumb to me. I suppose the contraction "would've" has now been translated into "would of". I expect to be beat up on this. That's okay.

Thank You!  I won’t beat you up.  😊   I am a retired teacher, so incorrect English is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I realize some things are regional...but English is English.  It takes the same amount of effort to use it correctly as incorrectly. 

I have a relative that always says “where was you?”.....  It makes me crazy...

Valued Contributor

Using the word loose instead of lose. I see it everywhere. 

Honored Contributor

ITA with all of you. My son, DIL and grands all use correct English, I'm happy to say.

I heard of a tee shirt I'd love to have, which says:

I'm Mentally Correcting Your Grammar !

I'd buy it if I could find it!

Honored Contributor

I sometimes find myself reading a sentence two (to, too) or three times before it makes sense to me because of bad English/bad spelling/etc.  My pet peeve has even made it into commercials and newscasts, so I guess there's no going back.  It's the use of the word "less" when the word "fewer" is more appropriate.  

Honored Contributor

I always see " she graduated college in 2011". Instead of she graduated FROM college.  It is written and spoken this way everywhere.  Say what?

He went out the door is another one...where did the "of" go?

Our language is always changing and evolving and eventually it will be so much different than it is now.

Just a short mention.  My grandparents came from Italy in the early 1900's.  All of their 11 children were born here and all were bi-lingual.  Some of their grandchildren learned Italian too and it is spoken in our family.

Two years ago, a bunch of my cousins went back to Italy to see some family members who still lived there.  They were so excited to be able to talk and practice their Italian with them.  They were surprised when they had trouble understanding modern Italian. My cousins spoke the year 1900 Italian, whereas those in Italy have evolved with their language.