Honored Contributor

@BostonMommy wrote:

I have 2 tattoo's in memory of our youngest son we lost in the Marines. I have the same tattoo's that he had in the same places too. I took my son Chris to get his first tattoo. I asked him to wait until he got out of boot camp to get his first. We took him right after boot camp gradutation.  He showed us what he was getting . We paid for it then went off to do some window shopping while he got it.  It's a Tribal panther on the back of my right should blade ( just like my son's). The second one my husband and I did together we both got the same one as our son had  a sunburst on the back of our left cavles. for me it has a special memory and meaning.

Thank you for sharing this, @BostonMommy.   (((gentle hugs))) love and condolences to your family, and my gratitude for his service and my respect to your beloved son, may he rest in peace.❤️

I have a young nephew with a number of tattoos, who sports creative hairstyles, and who is the most kind, compassionate, generous person and the dearest father of a daughter and a son.   

I shared this image with him, and he added tattoos to the fellow in his copy of the image (I don't have his edited pic, but you can get the idea).

IMG_1554.jpg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

I won't be here to see it but the future elderly tatooed community is going to look very scarySmiley Happy.......

I just got a real visual in my imagination and got the biggest laugh just thinking about it.  One time, they showed and old man who had a boat/ship on his chest and since he was old, it was half sunken like the Titanic. I look at my skin and at this age I'm so happy I don't have that to add to my dry old skin.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

This tatooed look aged very well...🙄😄

What Do Tattoos Look Like After 40 Years? - YouTube

41 Tattooed Seniors Answer The Eternal Question: How Will Your Ink Look  When You're 60 | Bored Panda

What Can You Do About Wrinkled Tattoos? | by Robert Cormack | Medium

Old men are old men, tattoos or not.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

When someone gets a tattoo thats something they need to consider is how will it look when the body ages....From what I heard its very painful and costly to have a tattoo removed....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

This tatooed look aged very well...🙄😄

What Do Tattoos Look Like After 40 Years? - YouTube

41 Tattooed Seniors Answer The Eternal Question: How Will Your Ink Look  When You're 60 | Bored Panda

What Can You Do About Wrinkled Tattoos? | by Robert Cormack | Medium

Old men are old men, tattoos or not.

I think the tattoos kind of camouflage the sag a little on the gentlemen in the pictures. It's not as if they'd look any younger or more toned without the tatts.

That last picture I'm pretty sure is an illustration intended to be funny, but it's not really my taste in humor.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

Thank you DooBdoo Heart

That's a beautiful picture Heart Really BEAUTIFUL !

Your nephew sounds wonderful and so creative. My son was very artist too. I have several of his art framed around our home. He also drew some tattoo artwork for friends. That they had tattoo's made from

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Tattoos are not my thing. As a rule, I appreciate some of the amazing artwork I"ve seen done with them, but I personally find them to be a possible sign of people not being content/comfortable in their own skin. I feel the same way about makeup, hair coloring, cosmetic surgery, etc. 

I'm not saying any of those things are wrong, but to me, they are a product of  'society' saying what we should look like, what we should do, how we should conform, rather than just being naturally who we are, and accepting, content and proud of it. 

Dressing unique and tattoos are a way for people to be themselves and not conform to the conservative norm that most are told by a conservative society that this is how we should look rather than being what you want to be!!  That to me says many are not afraid to step out of the box and be themselves and not follow the "Emily Post" rules for how to live!!!  The same for anything anyone does to  express themselves. You have to be comfortable in your own skin to allow yourself to really show who you are!    Cookie cutter conservatism is gone and not the norm anymore - thank goodness!  It's not your outward appearance but the person you are inside!!!

I agree. Also humans have had the urge to decorate ourselves ever since humanity began. Ancient jewelry, cosmetics, perfumes, piercings, tattoos, wild forms of dress and adornment. It's always been part of being human, and completely natural.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor
I am not a fan of tattoos at all. The people I do know who have gotten tattoos have not stopped at just one. They get more and more and then just one more. For the person who got one to remember her son, I think that is lovely. For people who just want to decorate their body, well that is their choice of course, but I think our bodies are fine the way they are. We have three boys and none of them have tatoos, though I know they have considered it. A few months ago our middle son THANKED us for not letting him get a tattoo. I have to wonder how many are sorry they got them - though I doubt they would ever admit it.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

I got my first tattoo when I finished basic training in the military, my second one when I finished my time. My third I got in prison after I beat up an inmate...just kidding but it is on my neck. Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko 

😂😂😂the neck tattoo...worked in prison many years so I know after some of those "inmate brawls" you deserve that neck tattoo if you came out alive😉😉

Some would have heart attack if they saw my son & DIL she is  a well known tattoo artist.   her artistry is amazing, how booked out for 8 months w/appts but the cost $$$ to get one!

Thank you for your service and more🇺🇸🇺🇸

homedecor1

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Tattoos are not my thing. As a rule, I appreciate some of the amazing artwork I"ve seen done with them, but I personally find them to be a possible sign of people not being content/comfortable in their own skin. I feel the same way about makeup, hair coloring, cosmetic surgery, etc. 

I'm not saying any of those things are wrong, but to me, they are a product of  'society' saying what we should look like, what we should do, how we should conform, rather than just being naturally who we are, and accepting, content and proud of it. 

Dressing unique and tattoos are a way for people to be themselves and not conform to the conservative norm that most are told by a conservative society that this is how we should look rather than being what you want to be!!  That to me says many are not afraid to step out of the box and be themselves and not follow the "Emily Post" rules for how to live!!!  The same for anything anyone does to  express themselves. You have to be comfortable in your own skin to allow yourself to really show who you are!    Cookie cutter conservatism is gone and not the norm anymore - thank goodness! 

It's not your outward appearance but the person you are inside!!!

@Pook 

Quaint.  That's what many "in the norm" were brought up to believe.  I'd like to think that it's still true.

Based on those I see on a daily basis, however, a person who decides to be unique might choose not to be pierced or tattooed.  Now there's a person who will stand out in a crowd.  Hence the OP's illustration.

I work with a psychiatric resident who has an enormous human heart tattooed on his arm.  It intrigues me.  I'll have to ask him if he had once planned to be a cardiologist.

@just bee  Maybe he is wearing his heart on his sleeve?....so to speak?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!