Trusted Contributor

Re: Target Today: New experience

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@granddi I am going to sound grumpy here but I don't like it. After 8 or 10 times of being asked if I need help, I'm ready to just walk out. I like to walk around and see if I find anything interesting.  I feel like they are following me.  I would rather go to them if I need assistance.

Geez, you're more tolerant than I am. By the third time I'm trying not to snap at them. I'd have walked out long before the eighth time. Store will likely make a MUCH larger sale if their employees will just let me enjoy myself browsing.

Honored Contributor

I can’t, for the life of me, understand why anyone gets perturbed when employees are doing their jobs and trying to be helpful. If I don’t need the help, it’s so easy to smile and say “thanks, but I’m good”. 

Honored Contributor

@september, I know. I guess they're darned if they do, and darned if they don't.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It's a rare event I go to Target.  It has to be a really good sale.  If I see any employees, they say something to me.  Usually I don't see any.  Then the checkout is long, no self serve.

Honored Contributor

I have not shopped in Costco in ages. So I was surprised when I checked out last week, the person asked me if I found everything OK. Not sure if she was prompted to ask because it was months since I bought anything or were they told to say that to everyone.

I have not shopped in Target in several years.  Seems like more often than not could not find what I was looking for but ended up buying stuff I didn't need and ended up donating.

I think stores are hurting and this year determines how they will go forward in the future.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'll tell you what I would appreciate in stores,if they wouldn't block the items when stocking shelves. I know that shelves must be stocked, but at Walmart it seems to be an ongoing process, and no one moves if you need to get an item off the shelves . Save the hellos and let me shop. Rant over.

I've had that same problem at Target on my last three visits--blocking the aisles.   I think some of the "hellos" and "do you need help finding anything?" can be overdone.  Got that at BBB this weekend too.  Same at my grocery store, but only one person checking since they (like Target) want us to do self-check.

Honored Contributor

The new initiative probably won't hurt but Target has to do more to avoid the path of its moribund competitors, Macy.s, JCP, and Sears.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @panda1234, but, having said that, & after many years in retail, they're just doing what they've been told to do. I think a smile, eye contact, or even, "If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know" is a nice alternative. You're letting the customer know you are there, & that you're approachable/available.

Respected Contributor

I sometimes lose my train of thought too when someone suddenly greets me all cheery. I realize it's for good c/s but I prefer to see them around the aisles when I need them.  Often they're not around when I have a question.  

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

I can’t, for the life of me, understand why anyone gets perturbed when employees are doing their jobs and trying to be helpful. If I don’t need the help, it’s so easy to smile and say “thanks, but I’m good”. 

And I can do that up to a point. It just gets old really fast when one employee after another tries to "help." Of course there are times when I know what I want, get it, pay for it and leave. Other times I've done my research and simply need to compare items and determine which best fits my needs. I may need to see an instruction manual or two after I've narrowed my choices, in which case I'm fine with intiating a conversation. But most of what I enjoy most about shopping is kind of being in my own little world, looking at what I want to look at, comparing things, seeing what's new...and maybe finding something I wasn't expecting that's just perfect. I likely have a general idea of things I'm looking for, but sometimes I truly am "just looking." Sometimes I'll find little or nothing to buy. But I may also end up spending quite a bit.