Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

We received a Christmas Card from a couple who signed it:  The Smith's

I frequently run on a nearby street where several neighbors have identical signage in their yards for Christmas -- a North Pole-looking design with their family names painted on them. Each and every name has an apostrophe before the s: The Smith's, The Green's, etc. Aaaargh!

Growing up, my last name ended in an s. My sister-in-law, who has taken that last name, has in the past made the mistake of adding 's on their Christmas cards (for example, "The Jones's"). That one's a little trickier, but in the end, it's all pretty simple . . .

Screen_Shot_2014-11-25_at_5.56.01_PM.0.png

Maybe they think their particular sign BELONGS to them?? Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

*It's my sign and not yours!!*

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is a very funny post.  What is not so funny is I find myself not only accepting all these errors, but falling into these bad habits myself.  My own education level dropping right before my eye's! 

Valued Contributor

Happy New Year, everyone!  Don't be this girl!Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 8.02.24 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

As someone else stated, it's a PUNCTUATION error, not a grammatical error.

@italia8140, because you so politely pointed this out to me, I was curious and went on a hunt for the difference between grammar and punctuation. Actually, according to one of the "experts" whom I will quote below, punctuation is, indeed, a subset of grammar:

"Grammar consists of words, spellings, syntax, phonetics, forms of words, and punctuation."

Just sayin'.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

As someone else stated, it's a PUNCTUATION error, not a grammatical error.

@italia8140, because you so politely pointed this out to me, I was curious and went on a hunt for the difference between grammar and punctuation. Actually, according to one of the "experts" whom I will quote below, punctuation is, indeed, a subset of grammar:

"Grammar consists of words, spellings, syntax, phonetics, forms of words, and punctuation."

Just sayin'.

A misplaced apostrophe is a PUNCTUATION error.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of unkind post

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's an unkind post

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We received a Christmas Card from a couple who signed it:  The Smith's

The Smith's what? LOL.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Where I used to live they had a huge billboard right in front of the High School which often announced many special events....  the 12th graders were graduating and on the sign for everyone to see:

"CONGRADULATIONS TO THE GRADUATING CLASS OF 20XX"

I had to call the HS Office, which had no idea at this point and were expecting the parents to show up later in the afternoon for the ceremonies.....   

I have to admit that my first instinct would have been that it was done intentionally -- there are many graduation-themed items that spell it that way on purpose!

Good point. Then it should have been "conGRADulations".

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

Happy New Year, everyone!  Don't be this girl!Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 8.02.24 PM.png

@sallybusky Woman LOL  I posted a link to one of the Debbie Downer SNL sketches, but the powers that be poofed it.  Booooo!!  I highly recommend googling the Disney one though... I think it's 10 years old and I still LOL every time I see it!!