Honored Contributor

Re: Taking business elsewhere....

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

I have indeed boycotted certain businesses.  Doubt they have noticed.

However I don't think that is what this tread is actually about, right?

@Still Raining   @Group 5 minus 1 

I'm not sure what the thread is supposed to be about, because I don't understand why someone would be taking their business elsewhere in the first place.  High prices?  Poor quality? 

How many purchases anyone makes in a year might be very small, so who would notice?  

@Group 5 minus 1 

What did you have in mind when you posted this?  Is the comment based on bad customer service .... or something else?  Was this just an "in general" comment? 

Honored Contributor

They fear social media though. If you have a following and complain about a particular company's services, you can get a response real quick.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Just a general comment.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I think for the most part - the old saying about the customer is always right and the idea of really treating the customer well has gone by the way side.  At least when it comes to large chain stores anyway.  Maybe for smaller stores or mom and pop stores, if there are any left, they strive to keep the customer happy.  I go to Walmart all the time to do food shopping and buy other necessary items because of the price and availability, but truthfully, I don't think they worry about whether a customer is that happy or not.  Most of the time when I go there, they have maybe one cashier and then the self check outs - the ones with the large conveyor belts are all closed with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. And then when you have large food orders, you have to use the small self check outs with the smaller conveyor belts which is a lot harder.  And the majority of the time if you ask an employee a question, they are crabby and not nice or pleasant.  This is just one store, so.... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 : So true,so true.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

The problem with happy customers is on the customers. People have gotten ridiculous to the point that it is commonplace now to be abusive towards staff and corporate doesn't care because they need bodies which are hard to hire these days. 

As someone in customer service, there are still good ones out there but we're really tired of being screamed at for decisions and abilities we haven't been given to help our customers.

Customers want to do what they want to do when they want to do it and in some cases it's just not possible. When I get regular requests to credit a bill because they went on vacation and were not in town to patronize us, we have an issue. When the mortgage company or landlord credits you for your hotel room, come back and see me and we'll talk, maybe. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

I'm not sure what the thread is supposed to be about, because I don't understand why someone would be taking their business elsewhere in the first place.  High prices?  Poor quality? 

How many purchases anyone makes in a year might be very small, so who would notice?  

@Group 5 minus 1 

What did you have in mind when you posted this?  Is the comment based on bad customer service .... or something else?  Was this just an "in general" comment? 

I choose a company, they don't choose me. I choose where I spend my money. I won't shop at certain businesses either. It may not make a dent in their profits but it fits my morals.  

Refusing to buy from any company can be permanent or temporary depending on why... politics, salary policies, how they outsource, my own experience with their company, price comparisons, refusing to pull out of Russia right now, or whatever. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 

I choose a company, they don't choose me. I choose where I spend my money. I won't shop at certain businesses either. It may not make a dent in their profits but it fits my morals.  

Refusing to buy from any company can be permanent or temporary depending on why... politics, salary policies, how they outsource, my own experience with their company, price comparisons, refusing to pull out of Russia right now, or whatever.

@CalminHeart 

It makes complete sense, and I tend to do the same thing.

Having said that ....  if you decide to stop purchasing from any company, do you bother to TELL THEM?   If they don't know you are actually protesting something, I think we miss the mark.  Customer complaints can be very motivating.  

IMO, if there's a problem, I think we should give that retailer the opportunity to "make it right".  If that doesn't result in the desired outcome,  I think the best next step is complain on their facebook (or wherever)  site.  CS seems to get nervous when customers badmouth a company in a place where other customers can see the posts.

It's the old saying ....  the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  I think you are right. 

Must make sure to have an Elsewhere of equal or superior caliber lined up before bridges are burned.

That threat and the one of leaving a bad review are so rampent in the service industry that "firing clients" has become a real response to those threats.