Trusted Contributor

What is the difference between an Amazon Fire tablet or an I-Pad other than the maker?

Honored Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

What is the difference between an Amazon Fire tablet or an I-Pad other than the maker?

There's really too much information to answer here. The iPad is made by Apple. It uses Apple's technology and it uses Apples's programs. There are different iPad versions. You can use the iPad for browsing the internet, texting friends on on other Apple devices, taking photos and videos, watching Netflix, Directv, Amazon Prime Video. You can download thousands of apps that have different functions from the Apple Apps Store. This includes word processing apps, resume making apps, cooking apps from popular recipe sites which have thousands of recipes and videos, timer apps, calendars, calculators, cameras, photo editing, voice recorders, games, books, newspapers, magazines. You can listen to music and can store music for later use. You can tell time, organize appointments, pay bills, get and send emails. You can use it as a flashlight, a stop watch, a phone or video phone..this can be limited to other Apple device users, it's called FaceTime, unless you get an app which allows you to do more. You can visit your doctor on it. You can post here or anywhere. You can use maps to get directions or find locations. You can draw on it. You can do research on it including professional research. You can file internet pages on it. You can scan documents on it. You can work with others in your office as a group on it. You can get the weather on it, including alerts for hazardous weather. You can listen to radio, podcasts or watch and hear YouTube with it. You can synch it with your smart TV and control the TV with it to select Netflix movies and other media to play on your TV. You can shop and order to your heart's content. You can access your hospital medical files if your hospital has this. You can read the news on it. You can write letters, create documents. You can send things you want printed to your printer from it if your printer has AIRPRINT capabilities. You can sign documents and deposit physical checks into your bank account if you have your account set up for this. You can set up vacations on it. You can use it with your Alexa. There's so much it's just too much to put here. Many things you can do use apples own apps. My iPad is an iPad Pro. It has a terrific picture and I can do drawing projects with it. There are less costly iPads in the line. They are all great. I use mine instead of my computer, which is just lying around getting no use. You can get a keyboard for it but it is not a necessity because you type right on the screen. It's much less cumbersome than a laptop. You can also use social media such as Facebook or Instagram on it. The apps I have are downloaded at the Apple App Store but they can be Google apps such as YouTube, Microsoft apps such as Word and Excel, Amazon apps such as Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Alexa and Kindle. If you do a lot or take a lot of photos get as much storage as you can afford. If you like to watch TV and movies get one that's at least 10." You can also buy extra storage in the cloud for dirt cheap. When on wifi you don't pay to use the internet on it. Most of the time you are on wifi so it's costing you nothing, there are iPads that you can use out of wifi range. For these iPads you pay a fee to your mobile phone provider. I don't have one of these but if I was in a business like real estate I would get this feature to show clients homes.

I hope someone else takes over for what Amazon Fire can do. 

Esteemed Contributor

The ONLY experience I've had is with amazon fire - I'm stuck with the stupid thing from years ago.  Games were all kiddie types - chase the squirrel - - impossible with nails to type on the thing - - etc.  I'll admit I'm not very smart but, to me, they just try to get you to rent - buy books and movies.  I don't have time for b & old movies.  

There must be something better out there than Fire.

Honored Contributor

Apple uses their App Store for iOS.

Amazon use their own Amazon Appstore.

Android devices use Google Play Store.

Of those three, Amazon's store offers fewer apps. I had an Amazon Fire and I didn't like that I couldn't use the Google Play Store on it. Now I have a Chromebook which converts to an android Google tablet...a true hybrid device with both android and windows in one device by 'flipping a switch'. 

Honored Contributor

i just recently upgraded my tablet to a SAMSUNG GALAXY and love it.

it can do a lot and has a good amount of memory and i have it attached to my ATT account so i can use it anywhere with free wifi.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have both. They have different apps. I use my Fire tablet much more often than my ipad. I side loaded the Google Play store onto my Fire tablet, so I have access to all the Android apps. The Fire holds a battery charge for so much longer, and it seems like there are a lot more apps for Android than ipad.

One purchase I'd recommend along with the Fire is to get an official charging cradle for it. I just set the tablet in the cradle and it turns into an Echo Show while charging.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a Fire fan and have been since the beginning.  Its very inexpensive and does its own version  of what Apple does but its not as advanced; its also about 20% or less of what a comparable I pad cost wise.  As a retiree who is computer literate ( used one at work for 25 years) it works well for my current needs (FB, Gmail, shopping, banking).  You can read all the specs on Amazon. DH uses a Galaxy, which is a bit more advanced. Many swear by Apple and we used that exclusively for years but now we are anti Apple ( too much money for our needs). Son is studying computer science and still chose a Galaxy ( all our phones are Galaxy).  Over the last 15 years I'm sure we've saved over  $10,000 as a family by our choices.  Hope I never have to spend $1000 plus for a tablet or smart phone.  Btw, better then 95% of what Mindy D mentioned you can do on my $45 Fire 8. Bottom line: its a personal choice.

Honored Contributor

My husband has an I-Pad, I have an Amazon Fire.  His cost many times more than mine and he has had it for years.  I have upgraded my Fire a few times.  Sure there are differences but for me they don't matter.  I can do everything on my Fire tablet that he can do on his I-Pad. Everything.  The only thing I can't do is brag about my I-Pad.     

Esteemed Contributor

The difference is who makes them and the operating system!

Kinda like the difference between a Ford and a Chevy!

I would like to know what the I-Pad can do that the Amazon Fire can't do.

Honored Contributor

I remember when QVC was giving away 2 of those fire one's at same time.

I have those things all over my house.  My daughters found them when they were 'reorganizing' my house!

I have one of the very early large Apple Ipads.  It works great.

I also had the apple small size ipad with the keyboard, etc.  I bought it through QVC years ago.  

I never used it so I gave it to my daughter because she's always flying everywhere and she uses it to download movies.

I'd like now to have a new small ipad as the old large one I have is too heavy to take places.

But I looked on QVC and Best Buy they are quite expensive.  If I want something I usually just buy it but maybe I'm wising up (?) because I just can't justify buying one (of the small ipads).

I guess maybe in my pea little brain I feel guilty of buying an Apple Ipad when I have so many of those fire tablets around the house.

I have quite a few of those and Amazon fire sticks too.  I have so far found 3 of those things.

I thought those Fire tablets were mainly for reading books?