Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Do Amazon Fire Tabs still have advertising all over them?  I had a 7" and ditched it for that reason and I hated the off Android os.  My best tab was a Samsung.  I'm now using a 10" RCA that I got at HSN around last Christmas.  Not thrilled with it.

I always pay to get the ads turned off. So much nicer. You can buy one without ads and pay a little more upfront. Or you can buy one with ads and then go into the settings (you can just Google how) and pay $15 or so and the ads all disappear.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I had a Fire tablet, then an android tablet, and then tried an iPad.  Once I went Mac, I never went back.  Fast, beautiful retina display, works flawlessly, a trade-in program...I can go on and on.  Having had all three systems, the ease of use, speed, and no issues plus trade-in program make iPads the tablet of choice for my husband and me.  They will last and work flawlessly for years.  There is no comparison between it and others.  I disliked the Fire so badly, that I side-loaded the Google Play store, which made it better, but it was still a slug compared to an iPad.  If you bought a more expensive Android tablet like a higher end Samsung tablet, you would probably be okay with it, but you get what you pay for, and I would either go for a higher end Android tablet or get an iPad.

Esteemed Contributor

@isaboo

An iPad is the  best tablet for a new user. The device will help you with setup when you turn it on. It is a very friendly device. You don't want to have issues with a tablet.

An IPad from Apple, Amazon or Best Buy will come with 90 days of phone tech support and the remaining year of hardware support. 

Amazon has two basic iPads 10.2" tablets one with 32 GB of storage and the other with 128GB. The company has a sale for Prime Day. 

LOL, I used 32 GB tablets for years. This was the only size many company sold. 

A fire tablet is a very nice device. It is a Amazon media machine . It runs prime movies and you can play music. You can modify it to run the Google Play Store apps. It will not run the Google Chrome browser. 

I use a Samsung S7+ tablet and a Note 10 phone as my major devices.

Last week I brought iPads for two folks in my family  from Amazon. I have been looking at them for a while.  They are in short supply. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@isaboo wrote:

What is the difference between an Amazon Fire tablet or an I-Pad other than the maker?

There's really too much information to answer here. The iPad is made by Apple. It uses Apple's technology and it uses Apples's programs. There are different iPad versions. You can use the iPad for browsing the internet, texting friends on on other Apple devices, taking photos and videos, watching Netflix, Directv, Amazon Prime Video. You can download thousands of apps that have different functions from the Apple Apps Store. This includes word processing apps, resume making apps, cooking apps from popular recipe sites which have thousands of recipes and videos, timer apps, calendars, calculators, cameras, photo editing, voice recorders, games, books, newspapers, magazines. You can listen to music and can store music for later use. You can tell time, organize appointments, pay bills, get and send emails. You can use it as a flashlight, a stop watch, a phone or video phone..this can be limited to other Apple device users, it's called FaceTime, unless you get an app which allows you to do more. You can visit your doctor on it. You can post here or anywhere. You can use maps to get directions or find locations. You can draw on it. You can do research on it including professional research. You can file internet pages on it. You can scan documents on it. You can work with others in your office as a group on it. You can get the weather on it, including alerts for hazardous weather. You can listen to radio, podcasts or watch and hear YouTube with it. You can synch it with your smart TV and control the TV with it to select Netflix movies and other media to play on your TV. You can shop and order to your heart's content. You can access your hospital medical files if your hospital has this. You can read the news on it. You can write letters, create documents. You can send things you want printed to your printer from it if your printer has AIRPRINT capabilities. You can sign documents and deposit physical checks into your bank account if you have your account set up for this. You can set up vacations on it. You can use it with your Alexa. There's so much it's just too much to put here. Many things you can do use apples own apps. My iPad is an iPad Pro. It has a terrific picture and I can do drawing projects with it. There are less costly iPads in the line. They are all great. I use mine instead of my computer, which is just lying around getting no use. You can get a keyboard for it but it is not a necessity because you type right on the screen. It's much less cumbersome than a laptop. You can also use social media such as Facebook or Instagram on it. The apps I have are downloaded at the Apple App Store but they can be Google apps such as YouTube, Microsoft apps such as Word and Excel, Amazon apps such as Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Alexa and Kindle. If you do a lot or take a lot of photos get as much storage as you can afford. If you like to watch TV and movies get one that's at least 10." You can also buy extra storage in the cloud for dirt cheap. When on wifi you don't pay to use the internet on it. Most of the time you are on wifi so it's costing you nothing, there are iPads that you can use out of wifi range. For these iPads you pay a fee to your mobile phone provider. I don't have one of these but if I was in a business like real estate I would get this feature to show clients homes.

I hope someone else takes over for what Amazon Fire can do. 

Thank you for the detailed information on the I-Pad!