Trusted Contributor

Re: TV and meals

[ Edited ]

@twinny70 , How I miss the rituals with my late husband-- morning news with newspaper, coffee and breakfast; dinner with Jeopardy; and in between times--censored, lol!

Oh, and I must mention weekend football games viewed with lots of "tailgating" snacks--nacho platters, tacos, chili, etc., with all our windows open , enjoying the cool air (Florida).

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener   I am sorry for your loss.  I hope that you weathered the storm in Florida.

Honored Contributor

Re: TV and meals

[ Edited ]

We don't have a Tv in our dining room so when the family eats together, there's no TV watching TV and I do insist that people put their phones down and talk when we eat.  However, we're a busy modern family and we don't all sit and eat in the dining room often.  We're on different schedules.    Hubby and I eat breakfast earlier and dinner later in the evenings and when it's just the two of us, we'll watch TV on a tablet or read while we eat. I grew up eating meals in our kitchen with the TV on which was normal for most families when I grew up.   

Honored Contributor

No, we want a calm peaceful meal when we eat.  TV news is...

No, we want a calm peaceful meal when we eat.  TV news is off limits during meals; however, if there is a special or we would like to watch something that brings us joy, we will make an exception.  But generally, meal time is not shared with the TV.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @phoenixbrd , I live alone now for six years, in a 100 year old house. It stayed solid through the hurricane, but the terror has affected me deeply. I am focused on yard cleanup (1 acre),  but my mind needs work also.

This I know, none of us is immune to struggle. Are you doing okay? I ask this sincerely.

Honored Contributor

Sorry for off-topic a response to @FLgardener   

Doing great...and you are right life will provide us with challenges (which I attempt to use for personal growth).  How wonderful that you live in a 100 year old house and that it survived the storm.  That acre clean-up will certainly keep your mind/body busy for awhile!  Wish we could share a cup of tea.....stay strong and hope your yard is back to normal soon🌹 

Honored Contributor

We have a small t.v. in the kitchen, which is where DH and I usually eat.  He prefers to have it on, so it usually is.  I would prefer to have it off, as I think it is more restful.  But I don't make an issue of it or worry about it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Always,

Honored Contributor

Yes I do---DD and I have pull out tables that we use for our plates and sit in front of my big TV and mostly watch food channel shows!! We still chat away---Don't watch any news much ---can do without that garbage, thank you!!

Honored Contributor

When our kids were home, dinner was always at the kitchen table. Now DH and I slack and often bring our plates to the family room and watch tv while we eat. Now and then we'll eat at the table.  When we have family gatherings, it depends on what we're having.  If it's a big cooked meal, we're at the dining room table. If it's a charcuterie board and finger foods, we're spread out either in the living room or family room.