Super Contributor

I feel your pain! I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It is a 24/7 thing, louder some days than others. It even changes pitch. 

I find that background noise helps mask it.  It seems worse when I have a cold or allergies.  It can be associated with hearing loss so you should have your hearing checked. There is some recommendations I have read I don't recommend using hearing aids to help mask the noise.

Good luck. It is a pain in the neck 

Trusted Contributor

For me, it was sugar causing it. I had to do a major diet overhaul for my terrible thyroid problem, and I cut out refined sugar completely.

First thing I noticed was once sugar was gone, so was my ear ringing. I didn't even notice at first as I was so used to the ringing. One night I had shut off the TV and was reading, suddenly I realized how quiet the room was!

Woah....my ears are not ringing! I had to figure out backwards to pinpoint out it was sugar. Sugar was messing with my thyroid, so the ear ringing going away was a bonus!

It is amazing how many health problems can be caused by food (American chemical food), but Drs are trained to look for a physical reason, not look for root cause.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if Acupuncture could help?

Honored Contributor

I agree with others to not take the bait of supposed remedies you read about.   

The only time I really had a break was once when my oral surgeon put me on several days of antibiotics before doing some work, years ago.   It stopped for a while, then came back.

For that reason, I feel like it must just be some kind of viral-type thing that resides in there.

You get used to it.  I'm used to it for the most part.  Days when it is particularly loud and high-pitched are a drag, though.  Additionally, when there is some loud, sudden, and/or shrill sound (especially if it is anywhere near my head!) it goes into overdrive for anywhere from hours to days.

Respected Contributor

Re: TINNITUS RELIEF?

[ Edited ]

My tinnitus sounds like rushing air. I have it all the time, but the intensity varies.   Right now, it is very soft and I can barely hear it.  Other times it is like a crescendo.

The air sounds are not unpleasant to me and I am able to tune them out if I want to.

Occasional Contributor

Re: TINNITUS RELIEF?

[ Edited ]

I have it 24/7 but have learned to tune it out, with time...the sound is like crickets, only very softly most of the time...sometimes it's really shrill...I use a noise machine at night to fall asleep...that helps tremendously...

Honored Contributor

Running a fan, too, decreases the ear noise. Kind of like being married you have to get used to a lot of things. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I have it too, I've had it for the past 45 years, 24/7.  It is the reason why I almost always have sound around myself; TV, music, fans.  I fall asleep with the TV on, otherwise I start to focus and dwell on the ringing in my ears.  99.9% of the time I don't let it bother me, but sometimes I stop and wonder what it would be like to not have the constant ringing.  Every once in a while it changes tone but it never goes away.

Respected Contributor

I complained to my PCP about my tinnitus several years ago, so he sent me for a hearing test.  They found my hearing was in the normal range, but I guess I'm hearing everything "around" the ringing, which is kind of a PITA.  Sometimes, it's worse than other times, but always there.  I  have a fan going at night for "white noise".

Trusted Contributor

My husband has this and wears a device called a white noise masker which resembles a hearing aid.  He has worn this for 17 years.  He told me it retrains the ear to listen to this sound instead of the ringing.  The devices costs a couple of thousands.