Honored Contributor

Re: !!!! THE PERFECT STORM !!!!

@chrystaltree   Our hotels and rental facilities are filling up quickly.

@chrystaltree wrote:

My daughter's inlaws secured their FL home, loaded up both cars with belongings and drove to NC to stay with friends.  They left over the weekend.  They knew what was barreling at them so they didn't wait.  The blessing is that hurricanes and storms don't come as a surprise anymore.  There's time to prepare and evacuate.

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne wrote:

How does a gas stove work with out electrical , l thought the ignition system was electric .  Can you lite it with a match ?  Interesting to hear ! 

Yes you just hold a lit match to the burner.  When I was  little kid, that's how all gas burners worked. The electric ignition was an innovation. As Jimmy Buffett says " Step right up and show your age" lol. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Shanus   And anyone with extra folks staying during IAN

Please have enough drinking water and extra flushing water on hand.  Filling the bathtub up for the latter would work if you don't have enough containers.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Shanus   And anyone with extra folks staying during IAN

Please have enough drinking water and extra flushing water on hand.  Filling the bathtub up for the latter would work if you don't have enough containers.

@jlkz   Thanks for your suggestions. I also have bags of ice in the freezer to fill my big laundry room sink to keep eggs, milk, etc. for a few days.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I watched the press conference this morning and it seems FL has done everything it can do to prepare.  26 states are ready to help - so far.

I was disappointed in the attempted gotcha questions - what are you doing to help those who refused to evacuate (we have over 200 shelters - oh but is that really as safe as evacuating?)  - why are you closing bridges - how can people travel (um - and what would they say if high winds caused massive accidents on said bridges), what are you going to do for people who don't have flood - or other - insurance?

Wow.

I don't think they're meant to be gotcha questions. I imagine they are questions residents have been asking them. We all know of people who seem naive, to put it nicely, who drank clorox, and took horse pills to prevent Covid and do foolish challenges for no good reason.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

@Shanus , doesn't the wedding planner have to sign a contract before starting? I don't know how she could back out at the last minute. You might as well call yourself a wedding planner and charge more money accordingly. 

I still think that the best idea for anyone is to elope or get married with as few people as possible. Not worth all the headaches, especially since one doesn't know if the marriage will last. But then Shanus wouldn't have a job. 

@teganslaw   They do sign a contract that includes finding the venue,doing invitations, flowers, etc., but brides need to read the fine print. It usually states that if the time or situations change, they are no longer involved in alternate arrangments. Yep, it's true.

They're usually a one and done service....especially now that they're still catching up from covid canceled weddings. They fit in as many engagements as possible and the being responsible factor goes out the window. 

A professional wedding planner, whose business depends on positive reviews, would never quit just because things need to be rearranged. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you. @gizmogal  It is not safe no matter how high you are. When they tell you to evacuate just do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

May be an image of map and text

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you have it all together and you are prepared.  That is a good thing.  I could never live in Florida with the threat of Hurricanes and how they can turn on a diime and head right to you.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

It sounds like you have it all together and you are prepared.  That is a good thing.  I could never live in Florida with the threat of Hurricanes and how they can turn on a diime and head right to you.

True, but there is a lot more advance warning for a hurricane than there is for tornadoes or earthquakes - which can also do massive damage.