Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a lot of family in FL and have been following the storm news. IAN looks like a bull of a storm.

NC will be getting a lot of rain and wind Thursday through Monday. Many times we have flooding and lose power.

We're planing to keep cell phones charged and I filled up both cars yesterday. 

Luckily, we have a gas cooktop and a gas grill that allows us to still make coffee (YAY!...more important than food to start my day) and cook simple items.

Our utilities are buried, but the flooding always affects the nearby transformers or the crashes in the rain/wind that knock down trees.

I'm following weather reports all day just to make sure the tornado warnings will not be on our coast and make its way in land.

Everyone be prepared and stay safe.  

Respected Contributor

Re: !!!! THE PERFECT STORM !!!!

@Shanus , hope all goes well for you and everyone in the path of this storm. My ex SIL, BIL and nephew live in FL. so hope they will be okay. Everyone take care.

Honored Contributor

@catter70  Some family flew to NC yesterday before FL airports closed to stay with me. How could I refuse the requests? Two cousins drove here on Monday. My upstairs has 4 quest rooms, so I'll have a full house. 

Thanks, I think they'll moved further north and will be OK.

Respected Contributor

Please stay safe @Shanus and all in the path!

Honored Contributor

I have 2 close friends in Lakeland FL.  I'm so worried for them this morning. Almost a category 5.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

How does a gas stove work with out electrical , l thought the ignition system was electric .  Can you lite it with a match ?  Interesting to hear ! 

Honored Contributor

I'm doing a wedding Sat. afternoon. The venue was an outdoor tent and another set up for the reception. Not now. We scrambled and cajoled until the hotel found a ballroom not used after 6PM. They offered the lobby for cocktails which will stall everyone until the ballroom can be reset and ready for the reception. 

I was on the phone until 11PM last night making arrangements. Their event planner was too whimpy too  getting this done, backed out and the bride was in tears!

I insisted the caterer provide wine and platters of very light snacks until the reception and also hired several freelance wait people to handle this portion of the wedding. The hotel staff was limited and already promised to other affairs in the hotel.

The outdoor flowers will be hustled inside for the ballroom, too.

I swear, the bridal makeup biz has become a wedding planner business. This is not something I intend to be involved in unless an emergency. It's alot of work and time I'm not willing to give even if I can charge for my time. Some aggravation and rushing around has no price worth it. 

Sorry...not really pertaining to this storm, but just a hint of how the rains in other states are being affected.

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

How does a gas stove work with out electrical , l thought the ignition system was electric .  Can you lite it with a match ?  Interesting to hear ! 

@judianne   Yes, I turn on the gas under the burner on low and light the flame w/ a long candle lighter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus , doesn't the wedding planner have to sign a contract before starting? I don't know how she could back out at the last minute. You might as well call yourself a wedding planner and charge more money accordingly. 

I still think that the best idea for anyone is to elope or get married with as few people as possible. Not worth all the headaches, especially since one doesn't know if the marriage will last. But then Shanus wouldn't have a job. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched the press conference this morning and it seems FL has done everything it can do to prepare.  26 states are ready to help - so far.

I was disappointed in the attempted gotcha questions - what are you doing to help those who refused to evacuate (we have over 200 shelters - oh but is that really as safe as evacuating?)  - why are you closing bridges - how can people travel (um - and what would they say if high winds caused massive accidents on said bridges), what are you going to do for people who don't have flood - or other - insurance?

Wow.