Honored Contributor

It's an app and all the products are  out of China so I'm somewhat apprehensive about putting the app on my phone and giving my debit card info.  Since charges are so low and the quality of the products is extremely good, there are concerns about forced labor and child labor.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

With all the complaints about QVC selling merchandise from China, I'm surprised people are ordering from Temu. 

Apparently that concern goes away if prices are cheap enough. 😂

Respected Contributor

Re: TEMU update

[ Edited ]

Question?

Is there any way of purchasing some product, sold in USA, that somehow China (or the like) hasnt touched, hasnt been involved in, either in part, or whole, along the manufacturing, to selling process?

Regardless of patriotic impact, isnt it called USA Capitalism to irresponsibly, unimpeded, make for cheap, & sell for high?  Oh, and BTW, additionally, rewarding these businesses with profound tax breaks for their deed? And you & I,  buy,& buy, & buy it?

So, No problem there..  I'm just trying to figure out just where, along this process, to point my patriotic finger, eh?

Respected Contributor

Okay, I've made my decision - I will not be ordering from TEMU nor opening their ads.  Not even worth it.  For you who are enjoying shopping with them I do not write this to in any way be construed as negative - just my personal decision.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to add basically what I posted on the other thread in Customer Care.  I've never tried to tell posters how to spend their money, and I do hope those who choose this source will be satisfied with the purchases and the interaction with the company.  Even so, my research has found that this app is offering tantalizing prices in exchange for security problems well beyond the perils of other apps or websites.

Please, please be careful.

I would never use Temu, and all of the security professionals I know, personally, have warned people to stay far away from it.

Please, do an internet search for something such as "Temu cyber security" and read the articles,  see why this app is of major concern.

As an example, here's an excerpt from Kim Komando's website 4/10/23 article recommending removing the app immediately:

"...Have you heard of Temu?

It’s the second most popular shopping app right now, only surpassed by the mighty Amazon.

Temu must be buying a ton of ad space because we’re seeing it everywhere.

Temu had a quiet launch last September and currently holds a 4.6-star rating on both the Apple Store and Google Play store.

It’s been downloaded more than 24 million times.

But Temu is dangerous.

Here’s a shocker for Temu shoppers

Temu bypasses your phone’s security to do the following:
          Monitor activity on other apps
          Track your notifications
          Reads private messages
          Change settings

As you shop, Temu quietly bypasses any firewall and gains access to your location and can track you.
It gets full access to all your

contacts,

calendars

and photo albums,

plus your social media accounts,

chats

and texts.

In other words, literally everything...

...Though the company is based in the U.S., Temu is owned by PDD Holdings, which is based in China.

And that company also owns Pinduoduo, which was recently removed from the Google Play store for containing malware..."

(source: several articles on Kim Komando's site regarding Temu)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I'm a little confused. All those posts about Shein's disposable clothing, unethical practices, child slavery, etc. and Temu is OK?

Temu is a platform where individual companies post their own offerings. Shein manufactures its own clothing and also commissions and purchases from other factories.

I'm sure there's lots of crossover. Is a $7 top bought on Temu less disposable than one bought on Shein?

@PickyPicky3 Or a $70 polyester top from QVC?😂

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I am NOT a fan and we haven’t even ordered from them!

Everything ships from China and we are getting packages at our door that are purchases from other people, not us.

At first I thought it was a scam such as brushing but it looks like it’s just incompetence. No packing slip inside. I backtracked from the barcodes the shipments came from Temu which is a Chinese distributor. Trying to contact them has proven fruitless.

We’ve received 4 packages so far.

Yes, our credit cards are fine.

@bikerbabe  Heard on the national news a couple days ago about a woman who has received over $4,000 worth of children's bed linens at her address from Amazon, addressed to someone else.  Amazon won't pick them up, tells her to keep them.  They won't do anything about the name/address error.  She's comes home to find cartons stacked 8ft high on her doorstep and can't get in  her house.

Strange that the person ordering doesn't complain about not getting her merchandise or maybe Amazon just re ships it.

Maybe she should file charges,against Amazon for littering?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I've ordered from Temu twice, but due to security concerns I only ordered from their website.  That way I'm not dealing with anything related to the app.

I ordered a bunch of foot items like toe spacers (problem feet) and have been happy with the quality of those items.  I ordered a blouse but it was such bad quality I gave it away. I got a stainless steel ladle for the kitchen but again it was such cheap quality (handle was very sharp) I also put it in the donate pile.

I bought an acrylic little display stand that my daughter loves and that was a great deal.

I'd say a lot of their home decor is great, and I'd order again. But I'd never buy anything consumable like makeup.

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I am NOT a fan and we haven’t even ordered from them!

Everything ships from China and we are getting packages at our door that are purchases from other people, not us.

At first I thought it was a scam such as brushing but it looks like it’s just incompetence. No packing slip inside. I backtracked from the barcodes the shipments came from Temu which is a Chinese distributor. Trying to contact them has proven fruitless.

We’ve received 4 packages so far.

Yes, our credit cards are fine.

~~~~~~~~~

Hi @bikerbabe  Woman Happy

In the past, not recently, I've heard of a very aggressive sales technique of some companies.  "Accidentally" send an "unrequested" item to any address.  Ppl dont know where to return it, or who to call, so they keep the item.  Yet, by the box & contents, the company definitely lets you know the item came from them.  Maybe the (supposed) accidental receiver will like the item & want to make future purchases there.

@bikerbabe 

Ever heard of tht? 

I wonder if that is what TEMU did with those pkgs (supposedly, accidentally) delivered to you,, that werent requested??

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This being a Chinese business, I refuse to buy from them or any other Chinese business that has plunked itself into our country.

We get enough from them just from other retailers.  China will bury us without a shot being fired............