Honored Contributor

Re: Surprising Encounter at Fast Food Stop

@JaneMarple 

Alternative store vs a conventional one.

A conventional one would be a mainstream store like Macys', Home Dept, Lowes, Talbots, Nordstrom to name a few.

An alternative shop that draws a different crowd from the conventional would be something like Rebel Circus, Tragic Beautiful, I am attitude, etc.  They tend to be smaller shops that draw people who like the type of clothing that you wouldn't see at your typical office which offer lots of  leather with studs & cut outs, body piercings and including contact lenses that make a startling appearance.  Shops with attitude and people who want to make a different statement.  

That's why I was surprised that those cat eye contacts which I find a bit creepy (maybe it's just me) allowed in a conventional store...Things have certainly changed since I worked in retail.

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Sounds like you’re looking for kudos and an argument.

@Lali1   It would be helpful to know who you're chastising in your last three posts.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@patbz  I don't blame you one bit for saying something.  I don't know why people's alternate choice in life needs to be shoved down our throats. 

If that's their choice, fine, but do they need to flaunt it?  They know perfectly well that is not the "norm".  They just want attention.  I would have complained to management.  It certainly can't be sanitary, as another poster said.

Please, everyone, don't jump all over me.......this is JMO.

@Patriot3 ,

Clearly you are not fine with people who appear out of the norm-whatever that is.  What exactly was he "flaunting"?

Perhaps "flaunt" was a bad choice of words. It means to display ostentatiously.  It sounds to me he was just a kid, working in a fast food place, wearing nail polish.  

I agree.  No flaunting.  And no shoving anything down anyone's throats.

He is who he is.  Just as we all are. 

And he was doing his job, apparently with a good attitude since he seemed to be friendly.  I'd rather save my criticism for someone who was lazy or rude.

Honored Contributor

What is the purpose of even posting this??

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

What is the purpose of even posting this??

Funny. I find myself asking that of about 50% of the threads posted here.

Then I quickly remind myself how fortunate it is that other people have different interests.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Esteemed Contributor

I just realized I don't pay attention to the nails of the people at the fast food restaurants.

I'd rather have a dude with nicely manicured nails than someone with dirt under their nails, myself.

Honored Contributor

To me that look is creepy...I know I will get flack now but I don’t like that look at all. I also find tongue piercings unappetizing when they are on a waiter and there are several on the tongue. Tongue piercings better left in the kitchen, not in the front with customers.
Honored Contributor

Fingernails don’t bother me unless they are so long they keep the person from doing their job properly or they look dirty or jagged, and it doesn’t matter if they are male or female.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don’t know if short nails are, but there are hygiene standards for any place that serves food...and short is a relative term. I think some are overreacting to this topic....this isn’t some grand discriminatory conspiracy...and nothing really to do with inclusive or non inclusive....a pretty broad brush for a drive thru employee with long fingernails.
Health depts do inspections...if they think long nails are a problem, the manager will have to address it.
Honored Contributor

I think she meant well.  Why not look at the spirit of the post? He seemed to receive the guidance fine and it wasn’t out of the blue or anything. It was in the context of him finding a job they were discussing.

I hardly think an eight page thread of upbraiding is necessary.  I’m sure everyone on this board has given their two cents.  Nothing to see here,  move along now.