Honored Contributor

Re: Stupid ? about teaching cursive

It’s totally acceptable to print your name on a legal document if you consider that to be your “signature”.
Honored Contributor

I haven't really looked, but..........

There should be cursive handwriting books available to moms/parents/baby sitters/etc., etc.

The cursive books could be done in a beautiful and fun way.  Maybe in color, etc.  Something that would attract young children.

If I were a mom today and had young children, I'd make it a 'fun' time, sit down with them each day, teach them cursive handwriting.

I'd tell them that it's wonderful to have an artistic way of writing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

My grandson (13) and I write our thank you notes back and forth in printing because he never learned to write cursive! I hate it and am ashamed his parents didn't teach him. His mother has a Teaching Degree and should know better; she works daily in the same elementary school my GS attended. Yet she never bothered to help him with cursive.

His printing isn't that great either, although he is a lefty and it it improving now that he is in middle school. 

How do these people go through museums in Philadelphia and Washington, DC? So many historical documents were written in flowing cursive and are lovely to read!

Seems like another tragic mistake by the Dept. of Education.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

My son is a freshman in high school and can read and write cursive.
Honored Contributor

@denisemb I know it's amazing that cursive isn't (wasn't) taught.  All of us whom were teachers had a uproar!!  How on earth could they sign a binding legal document?  How could they read items from the past?  

Most of this came about because so much cursive wasn't legible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
It’s totally acceptable to print your name on a legal document if you consider that to be your “signature”.

I have always printed my name on everything from applications to jobs, to everything else.  I print in English and Italian.  Anything legal, my print is on there.  Haven't tried cursive since I was a child.  As a lefty, I beat cursive and won.

Esteemed Contributor

Some individuals simply use "X" as their signiture. Guess printing is a much better alternative to that! Although, I do like a nice cursive signature. And wonder how people travel to historic places without being able to read the documents? Such a disadvantage.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't mind if some cursive skills were still taught, but the many, many hours I had to spend drawing circles of various sizes and slants could be better used in today's world, imo.   During the years we were doing that, I got virtually no science teaching and certainly no keyboarding or other computer information, all vital in today's world. 

One of the most sensitive parts of designing curricula for our classrooms needs to be a good understanding of the world in which the students are living, but even more, the world in which they will live.

As I watch the kids I know best, I see that while they don't know some things I knew 70 years ago, they do know lots that even today I know and understand only superficially.  Sometimes I fear I'm so removed from the world in which they have to survive and thrive that it shouldn't be up to me to organize their learning time or topics.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm curious.....

When posters are saying non-cursive people can't possibly

read historic documents..what documents are you talking about?

As a student, I learned about historic documents through a textbook...

not reading the original quill document.  Who has the luxury of seeing

the original hundreds/thousands of miles away? 

Times New Roman is good.