Respected Contributor

Re: Stupid ? about teaching cursive

@songbird wrote:

Why should anyone study something you were forced to learn?  Nobody uses the slide rule anymore.  It's obsolete. they are plenty of subjects and devises that are no longer needed..  I would include cursive.  Very happy this style of writing is no longer inflicted on everyone else.

As a child i had no choice in what i studied.  In high school i did have some choices.  I am glad i was forced to learn, lol.  

Honored Contributor

While learning cursive is a nice thing, I don’t think it is that important in today’s world. As I mentioned earlier, a legal signature does not have to be in cursive. In fact, the most people I’ve met have horrible handwriting and their cursive is barely legible. That’s why so many times when you fill out forms they ask you to print. 😂

Fortunately I do have very nice handwriting but I can’t give much credit to my teachers. I’m left-handed. Some of the so-called rules of cursive are not meant for left-handed writers. I remember getting in trouble because my handwriting does not slant to the right. It doesn’t slant left either, it’s basically straight up and down. I even had one teacher attempt to make me right-handed. Thankfully, it didn’t work. I’m proud to be left-handed.

Many of the nurses I work with have a neat handwriting but I really think it’s an exception. My unofficial opinion is that the majority of the population has terrible handwriting, including many older adults. Cursive is pointless if you can’t read it. 😂
Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
While learning cursive is a nice thing, I don’t think it is that important in today’s world. As I mentioned earlier, a legal signature does not have to be in cursive. In fact, the most people I’ve met have horrible handwriting and their cursive is barely legible. That’s why so many times when you fill out forms they ask you to print. 😂

Fortunately I do have very nice handwriting but I can’t give much credit to my teachers. I’m left-handed. Some of the so-called rules of cursive are not meant for left-handed writers. I remember getting in trouble because my handwriting does not slant to the right. It doesn’t slant left either, it’s basically straight up and down. I even had one teacher attempt to make me right-handed. Thankfully, it didn’t work. I’m proud to be left-handed.

Many of the nurses I work with have a neat handwriting but I really think it’s an exception. My unofficial opinion is that the majority of the population has terrible handwriting, including many older adults. Cursive is pointless if you can’t read it. 😂

---

I agree that many people have barely legible cursive penmanship; at least that is true in my experience.

I am right-handed, but my cursive writing does not slant, either. It is very straight and "square" looking. I just always felt more comfortable writing it that way, and preferred the way it looked.

Oddly enough, I have seen some of the writing of my grandfather, great-grandfather, and other male members of my familly, and my writing is so very similar to theirs. This does not hold true for my female relatives; as far as I have witnessed, they all slant right.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago, cursive was taken out of the curriculum. The “Einsteins” of education said with the coming new age of technology, students would only be punching keyboards to communicate and handwriting would become obsolete. And keyboards aren’t cursive, so no need to teach it. When I began teaching decades ago, I taught young students who had developmental delays. We taught them cursive rather than manuscript because it was easier to learn. Cursive is written in one continuous movement of the fingers, so it is easier to do.
Was dismayed to see cursive no longer taught for so many years, but our school district has re-introduced it back into the curriculum this year so my kinder grand will be fortunate to have it in her classroom. Amazing how if they had just consulted teachers about what to keep and what to remove from the curriculum, they could have learned something years ago!
Honored Contributor

That’s because of spell-check. And most can’t tell time on a regular clock, only on a digital. And your phone spells it out for you, so no need learn how to tell time!😳
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
That’s because of spell-check. And most can’t tell time on a regular clock, only on a digital. And your phone spells it out for you, so no need learn how to tell time!😳

The iPhone Clock widget is analog...standard on all iPhones.

And many cars have analog & digital time, so....

Honored Contributor

Hey, would be nice to have a cursive option on computers/gadgets.

Especially for the youngsters.

As I previously, and someone else, stated, it's much easier and smoother to write cursive.  'Way less' times/strokes to lift the pen/pencil off and on of the page, per letter.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

@lovesrecess ,

If you feel spell check has depleted spelling skills in the young, how do you explain the atrocious spelling we see every day on these boards?  The demographic here is far from young.

Also, cursive writing is not a smooth comfortable action for those of us who are left handed. A righty draws the hand back from the writing smoothly. A lefty is pushing across the paper in an unnatural movement.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@EastCoastGal   I have three grandkids in two different school districts.  Their parents do not have to buy them computers.  They are supplied Ipads by the schools.  They are used in the class rooms and taken home to do homework.

I also volunteer in an elementary school in another school district.  They too, are given Ipads.  Almost all their lessons are on the tablets...and when they are absent from school, they don't miss out on the work.

Another thing I noticed...many, but not all of the free lunch kids have iPhones...not even androids.  I have a Tracfone and they make fun of it all of the time.

I have been a volunteer for 9 years now.  To say I was shocked at first is an understatement.  Things are not always what they seem to be.

Many Android phones cost more than IPhones. How is it that you know which students get free or reduced lunch?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

OP here, thanks for all your responses, didn't realize this was a repetitve hot topic.

OK, now I realize a printed "signature" or even an X can be used in a legal document.

But what does that say in the security of such document in a hacking or identity theft issue?  Could a professional tell the difference between my X and someone else's X as easily as a cursive written full signature?

And what about someone hacking one's esign, etc.?

Denise