Respected Contributor

Re: Study ties loneliness to death among older adults

On 2/18/2014 hckynut said:

As one I consider to be among the "older" this is my own study. It isn't the years in one's life it is the life in one's years. I've had plenty of it in my time and will continue to do so until the last breath.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Very wise, John.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

On 2/18/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 2/18/2014 esmerelda said:

Deb1010again...loved your #3 post above. You're a very kind person. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I agree, esmerelda. Also, I enjoy Deb1010again's topics. Very thought-provoking, very interesting.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Thank You dooBdoo. That made me feel good! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds so right. I volunteered at a care center last summer. There's some sad stories about being lonely and wondering why family didn't visit more often. Some would tell their stories to anyone who would listen. Others would pack in their sorrow. I learned this isn't a great volunteer placement for me. I would come home so sad.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Deb1010again said:

brii and AngelPuppy - Don't you think there are a fair number of people on the QVC forums who fit the description...I mean they are lonely. I think kindness on here goes a long way and you never know who you might be helping. It's also important to acknowledge posts when you start a thread. Especially those who may otherwise be overlooked. ...just thinking out loud and applying the study to life here.

ITA with your response to bril and AngelPuppy, Deb.

Thank you for the thread. It breaks my heart to even think about all of the elderly who are neglected and forgotten. If we all live long enough, it could be us in need of a friend. The study was a shock to me. I would never have thought it could be so crushing to one's overall health to be lonely. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Super Contributor

It unfortunately also happens to animals, after their own animal companions have passed.

But with human beings, it just doesn't happen to only to the elderly. People of all ages - from children to seniors - lead shorter lives due to chronic loneliness or lonesomeness.

And not everyone has the means or resources to make and maintain connections.