Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

Maybe those who did the study are the jerks?

After decades in a classroom where my job was to spot errors, I rarely have to work to see typos -  pointing them out is different.  I think pointing out obvious typos just to find something negative to comment on falls into jerkdom  (a word I suspect does not exist!).

Exactly how I feel.  I catch errors all the time.  I rarely if ever point them out.  I don't point them out on this board.  I would say that 99.9% of the time, when someone points out a typo on this board, they are doing it to get a dig in and/or feel superior. 

Most of the time, even with the typo, we all know what the poster was getting at so why point out the error?  There have been a few times when I've honestly not been able to understand what someone is posting due to errors and I just move on. 

My favorite is when someone points out the error in someone elses' posts and their own is riddled with errors.  Woman LOL      

Honored Contributor

Starting with my very first job, I learned the importance of accuracy in my work, and thorough proofreading before submitting anything for signature, or presentation.   I notice errors immediately; I just don't feel the need to submit a post that points it out.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@asoutherngirl wrote:

And i just found mistakes in that I just wrote!

Join the club!!Woman Happy 

I usually write a sentence in the same manner I would speak while having a face to face conversation. That can leave my sentence structure with some errors...

Esteemed Contributor

Our tax dollars at work....

Honored Contributor

What do you expect from the U of M?  Smiley Tongue 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

All part of "dumbing down".  Yes, consider me a "jerk".  I don't point such errors out to the authors, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when I see such errors.  

This is it, in a nutshell. In the world of email and social media, we are often typing and replying quickly, and not checking our work. Mistakes happen, and aren't the end of the world. But some of the things I see border on impossible to comprehend.

I was on a site a couple of years ago, where students and former students were reviewing their experience with an institution of higher learning. The spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure was so bad, in one after another of the reviews, they couldn't have paid me to send my kid there.

I do think pointing it out is rude, but people do notice (myself included) and it seems more and more prevalent, the longer we have the technology.

If poor spelling and grammar are supposed to be evidence of the "dumbing down" of emerging generations, how do you explain the vast array of those very same mistakes made on this forum on a daily basis?  

I think the demographic here leans decidedly  Baby Boomer.  

I have never thought the "dumbing down" phenomenon was exclusive to the younger generations, or a particularly new thing. It, in my opinion, has been happening for several generations now. I believe it runs rampant in all levels of our society, and it is encouraged/supported/seen at every age and in every social and economic level.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

All part of "dumbing down".  Yes, consider me a "jerk".  I don't point such errors out to the authors, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when I see such errors.  

This is it, in a nutshell. In the world of email and social media, we are often typing and replying quickly, and not checking our work. Mistakes happen, and aren't the end of the world. But some of the things I see border on impossible to comprehend.

I was on a site a couple of years ago, where students and former students were reviewing their experience with an institution of higher learning. The spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure was so bad, in one after another of the reviews, they couldn't have paid me to send my kid there.

I do think pointing it out is rude, but people do notice (myself included) and it seems more and more prevalent, the longer we have the technology.

If poor spelling and grammar are supposed to be evidence of the "dumbing down" of emerging generations, how do you explain the vast array of those very same mistakes made on this forum on a daily basis?  

I think the demographic here leans decidedly  Baby Boomer.  

I have never thought the "dumbing down" phenomenon was exclusive to the younger generations, or a particularly new thing. It, in my opinion, has been happening for several generations now. I believe it runs rampant in all levels of our society, and it is encouraged/supported/seen at every age and in every social and economic level.

I see,

We can just agree to disagree on that point.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am *famous* for spelling 'piece' wrong.  Sorry, there is a mental block there and I want to spell it like this....peice. 

Sometimes, when I care enough to spell the very best, I'll sing to myself "We finally found a piece of the pie".

It's not so much spelling that puts a bee in my bonnet, but words that aren't even words.....like 'alot'.  Not a word!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@shell garden wrote:

HI DEB1010!  How are you?

I started a thread about Lisa's jewelry, but I kept misspelling the word"jewelry", LOL!  I don't know why!  I was having a few off days, I guess.  😋

Anyway, people pointed it out, but I did not take it personally!  I went back and edited what I could.  I really did not consider them, "jerks".  I tend to think positive, or at least try, and thought of them as " letting me know", no matter how they put it, lol!  😗

I hope you have a wonderful day!  You should be here for the Master's Golf Tournament.... you are just right up the road!!!

Hi shell garden--wouldn't miss watching the Master's!!  My son is a golf course superintendent and has been there twice......what a beautiful place.......Phil Mickelson is my all-time favorite......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

I don't see where being able to pick out the errors would make someone a jerk but pointing out errors (outside of teachers in classrooms and work situations where accuracy is important) radomly to others on a daily basis (personal casual conversations, emails, forums, etc) is unnecessary, and would make someone seem a jerk for doing it when it doesn't matter.

I agree!  Correcting adults is rude, if not in a classroom or for work.