Honored Contributor

Extremely high winds today with heavy rain here on Cape Cod.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Aside from Florida, it was a big deal over nothing much, luckily.

Not true here in Savannah, Ga.

After 2 days of no power, believe me, it was a big deal here.

About 15,000 homes here still have no power.

I am very close to you and we watch the Savannah news. I suppose it is all relative.  Power out and a few trees down is not bad compared to the major hurricanes that have leveled and destroyed huge areas in our country. At least that is how I look at it.

Honored Contributor

It's still raining quite heavily and there some trees down, by morning the beaches are going to look pretty beat up.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I would feel blessed that this storm wasn't as bad as they thought.

Here is Missouri when we get a tornado warning, we take cover. Most of the time, everything is fine but there is just that one time.

We have seen it first-hand in Joplin where our son lived. 160 people lost their livesWoman Sad

So yes, it is better to be safe than sorry. To be prepared and then not-so-bad a storm.

Respected Contributor

We spent the weekend in NYC and we were lucky, it was beautiful.  My daughter, however, had to cancel her trip to the VA Beach area and it was pretty bad down there.  They never know exactly when & where a hurricane will hit and it's always better to "safe than sorry".  

Honored Contributor

Hermine has wandered back towards LI again and we have had 3 power outages since overnight lasting several minutes at a time due to the wind.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

My daughter who went to Cape May texted me yesterday to say they had two beautiful days . . . windy, and rip tides didn't matter because she and her girlfriends don't go into the water anyway.  She should be home some time today.

My LBI daughter said there wasn't even a puddle in the street on the Island throughout the whole period of time Hermine was offshore.

They never really predicted what this storm was going to do.  I have a feeling we are going to have many unpredictable storms like this from now on.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am in Westchester County and we were getting warnings starting as far back as last Wednesday, well today was a glorious day, light breeze and cool in the share and very warm in the sun.

I also live in Westchester County, living not too far from the beach in Rye.  Went every day this holiday weekend to walk on the sand and dip my feet in the water.  Light breeze, warm water, very pleasant weather overall.  The waves were somewhat choppy, but people were able to go into the water and lifeguards were on the beach as well as out on canoes.

Although the storm wasn't what we expected here, it's always a good idea to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Aside from Florida, it was a big deal over nothing much, luckily.

Not true here in Savannah, Ga.

After 2 days of no power, believe me, it was a big deal here.

About 15,000 homes here still have no power.

I am very close to you and we watch the Savannah news. I suppose it is all relative.  Power out and a few trees down is not bad compared to the major hurricanes that have leveled and destroyed huge areas in our country. At least that is how I look at it.

@colliegirls

I'll keep that in mind when I write the $6000 check for damage to our home from a neighbor's tree, in addition to our deductible.

No one expected it would cause catastrophic damage, since it wasn't even a hurricane when it came through.

I certainly didn't compare it to  "major hurricanes that have leveled and destroyed huge areas in our country."

But it's still about $10,000 out of our income unexpectedly, so yeah....that stings just a little bit for a "big deal over nothing much".

As you said, "it's all relative", especially if you aren't the one writing that check.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  ((((((((IG)))))))) I am so sorry you had such terrible property damange and cost.  I hope your electricity was restored.  Heart