Occasional Contributor

I have cashmere sweaters (two recently purchased) and would like any information on how to store and keep moths from "lunching up" on them . I don't want to use moth balls or any chemicals.

Thank you

Respected Contributor

I fold them and keep them in a dresser drawer that has a cedar bottom

Contributor

You should dry clean them and then seal them in a storage bag. They are a treat to moths. Good luck

Respected Contributor

I store mine in a ziploc bag after squeezing all the air out. A gallon-sized bag will hold a finer gauge sweater; you can get bigger bags for bulkier sweaters.

Honored Contributor

These are natural treated wood pieces, about the size of a clothespin, specially made to repel moths. Toss them in the storage bag, place them in a drawer or hang them around the neck of a hanger in the closet. $20 at Amazon.

51k0YgyawLL._AC_US218_.jpg

Honored Contributor

Years ago, we weren't supposed to store real fibers (wool, cashmere, leather, fur, etc.) in plastic.  Those 'natural fibers' were supposed to be able to 'breathe'.  I'd say wrap sweaters/items inside a pillow case, on a shelf.  For long-term storage, and extreme protection, I'd probably drill holes all arond the sides of a clear plastic bin, unless they sell bins with tiny holes all around.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. If storing in pillow cases, place lavender filled sachets all around.   It's a natural moth repellent, from what I've heard.  Moth balls are very dangerous (to breathe in), so I'd avoid using them, because wearing those sweaters would be dangerous. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Don't know about cashmere and moths, but bay leaves are supposed to be a natural repellant for insects. I put them in my kitchen cabinets.  Also agree with cedar.

Super Contributor

My husband bought me a tall cedar chest but now my problem is how to get rid of the strong cedar smell on clothes..Any ideas?

Thank you.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Cashmere cardis and turtlenecks are my winter staples, but I have had too many eaten by moths. I am back to mothballs, period.