Respected Contributor

Horrible reaction to Downey Unstoppables

I purchased Downey Unstoppables because they were on special at Costco and I thought I would treat myself. I had the most horrible skin reaction to the product, I developed itching and red welts all over my body. Yesterday was horrible, I had to re-wash all of my clothes, towels and bed linens, Constantly applying anti-itch cream. I feel somewhat better today, the itchy feeling is subsiding. I would never recommend this product to anyone. I am going to take it back to Costco next time I go. Horrible experience. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Horrible reaction to Downey Unstoppables

Sorry that happened to you.......i was unaware of the product but read it is a fragrance booster type product used when washing your clothes.................i have to say i never buy any laundry washing product w/ scent........so many of them make me actually nauseous so i def believe you are suffering.......I hope you feel better quickly.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conltI wondered about these products... and decided I would not use them in my wash for that reason. 

I do use the beads in my garbage container in the bottom to keep it smelling nice all week.  So I guess you could use them for this... also I use them in my vaccume bag to make the room smell nice when I vacume.  I know they are just chemicals.... not good to really use....

Super Contributor

I am sorry tomhear you reacted to that product. I had the same reaction to philosphy pure grace lotion years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I would take it back and I would also call the manufacturer to let them know.I think some of these products are dangerous esp on babies and children's clothing.

Respected Contributor

I've never used anything like that.  I can only imagine how overly scented those types of products are. 

Trusted Contributor

I've stopped using liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets.  The dryer sheets just coat your clothes with chemicals.  I use wool dryer balls that I ordered from Amazon.  I use to use detergent that didn't contain scents, etc.  Now I use Nellie's Laundry Soda.  Any product can cause a reaction to your skin.  My son used the Downey Unstoppables and doesn't have a problem. 

Respected Contributor

Since these are advertised as highly scented and supposed to give off scent for weeks, I decided to avoid since I have some sensitivities.  Glad I did.  I do like the idea of using them in the trash.

Respected Contributor

Sorry that happened, I know it's a miserable experience. I'm sensitive to all types of scented products, antibiotics, blood transfusions & on & on...I know others use these with no problems & that's a very good thing. You can take an antihistamine too if you need more than the cream to help with itching & swelling. Feel better!

Respected Contributor

Just wondering how much you used? A full capful?