Honored Contributor

There is no legitimate reason for grocery prices and other prices to still be inflated, other than corporate greed price gouging.

The cost of fuel to transport food and other items is down, there are no supply chain issues, they're not paying minimum wage employees higher wages, there are no shortages, and many more reasons could likely be added to the list of reasons.

In a free market economy these businesses should still be held accountable for price gouging.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Stocks Hit Record High

[ Edited ]

Tell all that "good" news to our investment accounts which still haven't recouped what was lost in 2021.

Trusted Contributor

Never a good idea to bet against the US.

Most patriots want to see the improvement. If you're interested in killing democracy, you cross your fingers for the US to fail.

I know what side I'm on.

Respected Contributor

Re: Stocks Hit Record High

[ Edited ]

The problem isn't inflation, it's prices!  While many want to blame it on inflation, inflation has been steadily coming down.  People want deflation and, since the pandemic where everything cost more due to supply chain, etc, you'll not see prices on things like food in general go down a lot in price that much.  Why?  The answer is very simple:  corporate greed!  Corporations have taken advantage of hiking their prices during tough times like the pandemic and now refuse to lower them to a pre-pandemic level.  There isn't any way to force companies to price down and they're making record profits.   

Everything will settle and level as interest rates continue to come down, unemployment is down, oil/gas is coming down, stock market is setting records, etc., but you can't expect it to go back to 2019.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

The Bloomberg cherry picked article talks about now compared to 2 years ago. 2 short years and how quickly we forget. We were just starting to get shots in the arms of people. We couldn't be together to celebrate the holidays. We couldn't work in an office setting without the risk of getting sick and dying. Gas was $2 a gallon because no one could go anywhere.

The doom and gloom group  forgets what we were dealing with. I have to admit, for me, some days, the pandemic and all it's sorrows seems a million years ago.

I'll take the victory of an improving economy and low unemployment. Barring something catastrophic, it will only get better with interest rates predicted to come down 3 times next year.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

There is no legitimate reason for grocery prices and other prices to still be inflated, other than corporate greed price gouging.

The cost of fuel to transport food and other items is down, there are no supply chain issues, they're not paying minimum wage employees higher wages, there are no shortages, and many more reasons could likely be added to the list of reasons.

In a free market economy these businesses should still be held accountable for price gouging.

I'm still experiencing shortages and/or supply chain problems with many things.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

There is absolutely good about todays economy. Nothing to be happy about. We are all in a sinking ship. Face reality.

@ID2 - I don't feel that way at all.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I'm kind of interested in the seeming disconnect between an inflated stock market and corporate greed on this thread.  Surely if stocks are high, and you attribute that to corporate greed, you would be against that.  After all, the stock market is just the perceived rate of return an investor will get from investing in a corporation or group of corporations.

I think inflation is coming down due to the decreased price of fossil fuels.  We still move every item that anyone might buy like food, petroleum, and consumer goods with vehicles powered by fossil fuels.  When transportation costs less, hard goods cost less.

Merry Christmas to all!

Respected Contributor

I think that most economic signs are exceptionally positive and robust.

My personal investment and retirement accounts, which I actively manage and monitor, have recouped all prior year losses (and even reached new highs this week.)  

Everyone's situation is different and it is virtually impossible to generalize.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

People who own stocks or who have stocks in their pension have a reason to be happy today since stocks hit a record high. Inflation is down and Christmas shopping is vigorous this year. Unemployment is down. You can't argue with success.

@chessylady The rate of inflation rising is down but inflation itself is not.  Prices are still higher than last year and the year before.

@haddon9 , Prices are high because of corporate greed, many companies have been in the news lately for inflating their prices for food and other essentials. 

Just a week or two ago the two largest supplier of eggs in the country have listed record profits because of the above practice.

Exactly! Corporate profits are crazy high and breaking records. Big oil is also breaking profit records. How?  Price gouging. Greed. Donating to (oops, paying off) politicians who prefer donations over doing what's best for people.