Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

I wish people would stop talking about what they don´t know or don´t understand. Anyone on any SS will get a check which would be deposited in their account. Direct Deposit. Most people on SS don´t pay taxes because they don´t get enough money to pay taxes.

People who work and pay taxes will get their payment through IRS.

That would be anyone on SSI or any payments from SS.

Frequent Contributor

Not sure why you think $50k a year or more should be a cut-off?  I live in Massachusetts where we have a very high cost of living.  High housing and living expenses.  We will be eligible for $2.400 as a married couple and my kids are 18 and almost 20.  Not sure if we receive $500 each per child or if they will receive the $1,200 each.  My daughter lost both of her jobs that she was working at part-time and my son is in college and working part-time.  He is fortunate that he works part-time at a higher end retailer who will pay him while they are closed.  

Even for those working, the extra cash will come in handy.   This will assist us in paying some bills.  The reason we are getting this cash is to help those who have lost their jobs and to stimulate the economy.  

90% of those with SSN will recive this assistance.  I agree that businesses will need to be monitored to be sure the money is used properly.  

All Americans should get equal treatment on this stimulus.  Those who have lost their job will get more unemployment pay than ususal and the one week waiting week is eliminated.  The entire situation with Covid-19 is tragic and will get worse before it gets better.  We should help all that are in need and not judge people.  

I wish you and everyone else well during this difficult time.

Honored Contributor

Some people here seem to base their entire world view on what things are like in their corner of the world. Cost of housing and general cost of living varies widely across the US. And please don't say just move, that's not possible for everyone. Just be happy that you are living much more affordably and try to be less judgmental. The last thing we need right now is people being resentful and judgmental  about help that others are receiving. 

Where I live the stimulus money isn't going to be that helpful. Certainly better than nothing, but it isn't.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04

I agree that misinformation shouldn't be spread around so much.....including  over-generalizations.   So don't do it.

You wrote:

<<I wish people would stop talking about what they don´t know or don´t understand. Anyone on any SS will get a check which would be deposited in their account. Direct Deposit. Most people on SS don´t pay taxes because they don´t get enough money to pay taxes.>>

I'm definitely not in the "anyone" group of SSI recipients who will receive a  stimulus check.

Furthermore, I  definitely  pay tax on my SSI income (and  two years ago, my husband had to write Social Security Admin. a check due to receiving a federal pension plus SSI but  not enough tax had been deducted from his  SSI check).

Complicated rules apply to all this legislative stuff.  I don't even know why anyone here attempts to explain it to a crowd of people who all have different needs and qualifications under the rules.

Let's all try not to spread misinformation and let everyone do their own research and/or consult their own advisors who know their  financial situations.

Valued Contributor

I agree.  I have spoken to friends of mine and they are complaining they don't need it.  Neither do I but I will be happy to share it with someone who does.  I hear my sone telling me stories of coworkers who are really suffering.  I may pass it to them or a few of them.

Frequent Contributor
Here’s a question and I don’t know that there’s an answer for it yet. Our son is disabled but not receiving disability (Aspbergers, ptsd, bipolar-all treated with meds but he hasn’t been able to qualify for disability since he’s treated with meds) so he’s got no direct deposit. He does get Medicaid thankfully, so we don’t have to pay for his meds. Anyway, he’s his own “household” even though he lives with us so we don’t claim him. I’m pretty sure he’ll get a check but have no idea how. It’s probably dumb to ask about it now. I’m sure it’ll be made clear eventually.
Respected Contributor

@123 Jewelry wrote:

Not sure why you think $50k a year or more should be a cut-off?  I live in Massachusetts where we have a very high cost of living.  High housing and living expenses.  

$50,000 a year is a windfall for many on Social Security with no pensions or savings.  Many on these boards are elderly and have very little resources.  I also believe that that the funds should be distributed based on income where the working poor, those on SSI or unemployed benefit the most.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

@KatieB  that´s not true. Most people on SS don´t get enough to pay taxes so that´s why the funds would be deposited through the same acc that the regular SS goes into. Direct Deposit.

@Sage04   What did I say that's not true???   And what percentage of SS recipients don't have an income level that would require filing taxes???? 
And the money will not go into the account that's used for the social security deposit.  It will go into the account used when filing taxes, either a payment to the IRS or a refund from the IRS.   
This stimulus check/payment has nothing to do with Social Security, nothing at all.
Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB  I could be wrong but what I heard is that those who do not file taxes but get SS  theirs will come through SS Direct Deposit because they have the information.

Let¨s see what happends within the next few weeks.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@KatieB  I could be wrong but what I heard is that those who do not file taxes but get SS  theirs will come through SS Direct Deposit because they have the information.

Let¨s see what happends within the next few weeks.

Thank you for your reply.  I have an appointment on Monday to have my taxes done.  I will ask my accountant...