Respected Contributor

Steam Cleaner Recommendation

I just got the Bissel Steam Shot Deluxe.  I wanted it to clean my ovens.  I'm returning it because the steam does not get hot enough (I can put my hand on it) and the reservoir is too small (it lasts only 3-4 minutes for each cleaning) so I'm constantly refilling it.  Can anyone recommend one?  

Side Note:  I have electric Dacor built in ovens.  I've tried the self cleaning function and didn't do a good job.  I also tried baking soda on the inside on the glass door and that didn't work either.  I'm also not having luck with cleaning the racks.  I've never had so much difficulty cleaning an oven before.  My old ovens in my old house were so easy to clean.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Steam Cleaner Recommendation

I just looked your unit up in Amazon - is it a handheld one?   I had one years ago and threw sit out - wasn't impressed.

Now I have on order with Q 3-1 steam mop - V35155 - shown last week.  It's a total unit - floor and hand held uses. 

I would think:  because your Bissell doesn't hold much water - constantly filling the bucket and immediately using that water/steam .... the water never gets hot hot.  You get steam but not useful hot steam.

For your oven cleaning project - buy some SPRAY 9 - it's the best product for cutting grease - garage floor - tar from exterior car - etc.  Spray on and leave for several minutes - take wet paper towel and swish grease away.  Repeat if needed.  It's safe and non-toxic.

Stove racks - remove to sink - use the spray 9 and repeat above

Let us know if any of this works.............................

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I just looked your unit up in Amazon - is it a handheld one?   I had one years ago and threw sit out - wasn't impressed.

Now I have on order with Q 3-1 steam mop - V35155 - shown last week.  It's a total unit - floor and hand held uses. 

I would think:  because your Bissell doesn't hold much water - constantly filling the bucket and immediately using that water/steam .... the water never gets hot hot.  You get steam but not useful hot steam.

For your oven cleaning project - buy some SPRAY 9 - it's the best product for cutting grease - garage floor - tar from exterior car - etc.  Spray on and leave for several minutes - take wet paper towel and swish grease away.  Repeat if needed.  It's safe and non-toxic.

Stove racks - remove to sink - use the spray 9 and repeat above

Let us know if any of this works.............................

I thought you couldn't use any of those cleaning products in an oven that has self cleaning?  I'm not talking about applying the Spray 9 and then turning on self clean mode, I'd never do that.  

Yes, it's the hand held steam cleaner.  

I will definitely try what you suggested.  Thank you.  I will look into the Q3.

Honored Contributor

The better steam cleaners are the ones which convert to mops. Those kind have more powerful steaming capability b/c they have higher wattage heating elements plus they usually hold more water. Although I don't own it, I recommend one made by Light 'n  Easy. I own their little steam mop and it's the best mop I've ever used on my floors. It puts out a ton of steam and really gets the job done. Amazon sells Light n Easy steam products, they are top-rated and are not too expensive.

Respected Contributor

I like the Sienna Luna sold by HSN, which has attachments that turn it into a spot cleaner from a floor/carpet cleaner. I've had mine for over a year and had no problems with it. It produces real steam. I've used it to clean bathroom fixtures, tile floor, and carpet.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy Hi again..........I should clarify about spray 9................

No I didn't mean to spray the inside of your oven with it....but you noted the door didn't clean up well.   I've found the self-cleaning feature never really does clean the inside of the door very well.  Heating elements are inside the cavity - so door just gets some of the action..

On doors - finish cleaning door with spray 9 for grease spots that remain as well as the bottom.  Sort of spot clean what self-cleaning didn't tackle.

Agree with other posters - Bissell hand held units - just not up to tough jobs.  Sinks and light stuff only.  I threw mine away years ago.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy   The only good steam cleaner is one with a stainless steel tank.  The best I ever had is a Wagner cannister.  Those steam mop or hand held ones are not going to get hot enough or hold enough water to do much of anything.

Honored Contributor

The steam cleaners for floors don't impress me.  I was mortified when I went the old fashioned way with a mop and bucket.