Honored Contributor

Re: Starbucks' Cup Controversy

[ Edited ]

Here's a link to the story the Seattle Times has:

www.seattletimes.com/business/starbucks-red-holiday-cups-inspire-outcry-online/

with the controversy apparently begun by someone describing himself as an "evangelist, Internet and social media personality" on his Facebook page.  The comments below the story are interesting.

Note that under the caption, the Times says "Microsoft" instead of "Starbucks."  The commenters say the Times makes a fair number of mistakes like that.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

IMO only, there are a lot of things to get fired up about and this isn't one of them. It is still red and festive. They still have the Christmas Blend. If the people do not like it vote with your wallet and don't spend your money there. On the scale of social causes it ranks low on the totem pole.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

IMO only, there are a lot of things to get fired up about and this isn't one of them. It is still red and festive. They still have the Christmas Blend. If the people do not like it vote with your wallet and don't spend your money there. On the scale of social causes it ranks low on the totem pole.

No doubt! First world problems...

Honored Contributor

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

This is one reason Starbucks cited for offering a blank cup: so patrons could draw and doodle on it, according to the Seattle Times story.  The link is in my earlier post.

Esteemed Contributor

With all the problems in the world, the last thing I care about is Starbucks holiday cup design.  It boggles my mind that people are making an issue about a cup design when people are starving, living on the street, and killing one another.  Let's all just pray for peace in the world and not worry about a cup design.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Don't worry, @Lindsays Grandma

Sensible people are not worrying about this at all.

Respected Contributor

So it's really some doofuss trying to get attention & publicity.  OK, pal, you got your 15 minutes of fame.  Now go crawl back under your rock.

Honored Contributor

The design of a stupid cup doesn't change the meaning of Christmas, affect my ability to celebrate Christmas, or change my relationship with Christ one single bit.  I am a Christian, but I have to say there are times when others who also call themselves Christians make such a big deal out of something so inconsequential that they make themselves look ridiculous and the rest of us get lumped in with them.  A design on a paper cup means nothing when you consider the many, many more serious issues we should be concerning ourselves with, both as people of faith and plain ol' American citizens.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS!  

Esteemed Contributor

People want what they always put on them: Mery Christmas.