Esteemed Contributor
Well that is at least one bug that Florida does not have. I do remember them in Ohio though.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Oh nuts, I hate those guys! Even though they don't bite, they look so menacing. 

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@Kachina624   OMG !!!! .... what’s next? ..... I hate these things ... they are so ugly & make so much noise plus when you go outside they fly right into you & cling to your clothes ..... I am now positive that we are approaching the end of the world!!!! 

I have to ask ...when you listed the states that will get them next to New York you indicated (extinct or nearly so) ... does that mean NY might not get too many?

Thanks so much😉

@January121   I copied a portion of that but assumed thats what they were inferring.  If you live there, you can report back to us.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 

WHEW!!!  You mean Texas missed having those "beauties" in our wonderful State 😊.... Of course we have our regular cicadas.....they are enough to drive you crazy with their "song".....These come out in the summer and it usally means its hotter than heck! 

download (2).jpg

@Spurt.  Hot summer afternoons in Texas just naturally go with cicadas.  Sometimes they are deafening.  I don't ever hear or see evidence of them here in NM.

Some people may be hearing katydids which are a different but similar insect.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I have good memories of cicadas as a kid going on hunts looking for their shells that they shed on trees.  Now I like to listen to them “sing” in the evening in the late summer.   I guess if I had them flying at me I wouldn’t like them but I haven’t experienced that. 

Same for me. They remind me of summer as a child which was pretty much all year. But to me they look different from what is pictured in the op's message. 

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 

WHEW!!!  You mean Texas missed having those "beauties" in our wonderful State 😊.... Of course we have our regular cicadas.....they are enough to drive you crazy with their "song".....These come out in the summer and it usally means its hotter than heck! 

download (2).jpg

In Texas these are what I knew as locusts. Come to find out that isn't really what they are. No matter that is what they'll always be to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@Kachina624   OMG !!!! .... what’s next? ..... I hate these things ... they are so ugly & make so much noise plus when you go outside they fly right into you & cling to your clothes ..... I am now positive that we are approaching the end of the world!!!! 

I have to ask ...when you listed the states that will get them next to New York you indicated (extinct or nearly so) ... does that mean NY might not get too many?

Thanks so much😉

@January121   I copied a portion of that but assumed thats what they were inferring.  If you live there, you can report back to us.

@Kachina624  .... THANKS .... I guess I have to wait until the warm weather arrives.... I’ll give an update then 😃

Honored Contributor

Re: Springtime Synphony

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 

download (2).jpg

In Texas these are what I knew as locusts. Come to find out that isn't really what they are. No matter that is what they'll always be to me. 

@Lali1 

Locusts look more like grasshoppers...

hill county texas locust? what species is it? : whatsthisbug

Here's a katydid...

Texas Bush Katydid | Songs of Insects

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe they'll eat the murder honets....LOL

Frequent Contributor

Ah yes, remember them well in MD. They can be deafening! Living in Florida  so no more visits. Do you know people eat them? Yuk! Smiley Tongue