Honored Contributor

Springtime Synphony

[ Edited ]

There will be a epic emergence of billions of Brood X cicadas this spring when the ground reaches 64°F.  They've been burrowed in the ground for the past 17 years and will emerge to create a huge cacophony of song, at least it's music to them.

Brood X is among the largest broods of cicadas. ... Brood X (10) will emerge in the spring of 2021 in Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York (extinct or nearly so), Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C.

Enjoy your brush with nature!  The ghost of 2020 prevails.

20210127_215157.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

LOL. I have sometimes wondered if katydids have a similar cycle. The first year we lived in Rhode Island (1999) they were so loud at night - we had a forest right behind us - we couldn't hear ourselves think, even with the windows closed. Never happened again for the final three years we lived there.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624     I definitely WILL NOT be taking the "Spectator Tour"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   OMG !!!! .... what’s next? ..... I hate these things ... they are so ugly & make so much noise plus when you go outside they fly right into you & cling to your clothes ..... I am now positive that we are approaching the end of the world!!!! 

I have to ask ...when you listed the states that will get them next to New York you indicated (extinct or nearly so) ... does that mean NY might not get too many?

Thanks so much😉

Honored Contributor

You know I will never forget the time I remembered the flying through the air locusts and my kids and I eventually thinking well I guess this is just normal, for this summer!

But to see you mention this now, as much as it was like out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie back then, it makes me cry to think of how back then we were not experiencing anything at all to what we are now.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I remember when they came out when I was in high school.  I lived close enough to walk to school.  They would be all over the sidewalks and fly up at me when I tried to walk past them.  I was so upset that my mother began driving me to school.  Not looking forward to their presence.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 : Oh no please and my state is included 😳

Respected Contributor

I have good memories of cicadas as a kid going on hunts looking for their shells that they shed on trees.  Now I like to listen to them “sing” in the evening in the late summer.   I guess if I had them flying at me I wouldn’t like them but I haven’t experienced that. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I have good memories of cicadas as a kid going on hunts looking for their shells that they shed on trees.  Now I like to listen to them “sing” in the evening in the late summer.   I guess if I had them flying at me I wouldn’t like them but I haven’t experienced that. 

As kids we did the same thing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Springtime Synphony

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

WHEW!!!  You mean Texas missed having those "beauties" in our wonderful State 😊.... Of course we have our regular cicadas.....they are enough to drive you crazy with their "song".....These come out in the summer and it usally means its hotter than heck! 

download (2).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”