Esteemed Contributor

Spring (and or Fall) cleaning, does anyone do it anymore? I remember when my kids were young (and I was younger) I used to houseclean (in the Spring AND the Fall) every inch of the house, including woodwork, windows, ceiling tiles, floors, furniture, curtains, bedding, the list goes on.

Since im older (with a very bad back) I do lighter housecleaning on a regular basis. (DH helps some with heavy stuff).

But it was driving me crazy not to Spring or Fall clean extra good. SO in the "Summers" my grand kids helped me when I watched them . Now they're older and 1 is working ready to go to colege yada yada.(and I don't watch them anymore b.c my daughter left her job to stay home for now).

Sooo I asked my middle granddaughter to come over today over night till tomorrow to do the upstairs and I will insist she take some spending money (heavy duty housecleaning as in wood work, windows, curtains, moving some furniture, bathrooms you name it everything) and I helped do cleaning too (within my reach/limit). We got 2 bedrooms done and 1 bath. We will do 1 more bathroom and DH and my bedroom tomorrow.

Shes 17 and shes really is doing a great job, BUT she isnt as fast as I was back when, so I stood 3/4 of the day doing light stuff and kind of leading her along, so tonight my back is in bad pain.

(We will do the downstairs on a weekend in May after I get some shots in my back).

So anyway Im rather frustrated and upset thinking tonight all I used to do and can no longer do and IS this deep cleaning worth it at all anymore? lol. I said to DH I would LOVE to have a 1 floor, 2 bedroom, 1 bath house (like my best friend and her husband have). But that's not going to happen. So I guess one day as the grandkids move on in life, the house will just be tidied up and cleaned lightly year round, which will drive me crazy.

PS) Understand, I don't want anyone to think we are slops, I'm talking deep cleaning granddaughter and I are doing (not weekly regular cleaning that DH and I take care of).

I was just wondering if anyone does this deep cleaning anymore? Or maybe I have OC that this "Spring type cleaning" has to be done or I obsess!. lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

@Shorty2UYes, I do deep cleaning more than twice a year.

Valued Contributor

I am compulsive so I clean every day.

Honored Contributor

I can't be bothered w/house cleaning.  Spring cleaning included. 

The 2 girl cleaning crew do too good a job for me to intervene.  Worth every $$$ Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

We clean throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

I never understood the total cleaning a couple of times a year.  If you don't allow a complete dirty mess to accumulate anywhere why is it needed?!!  I hate housework but break it up in smaller tasks all year and everything stays nice with no need to take the whole house apart.  I don't like spending a whole lot of time doing housework so I usually do something every day very early as I'm an early riser.  I don't do a whole room at one time very often but by doing a bit each morning I accomplish more without really taxing myself much.

Honored Contributor

I think in a way it is a time in which we older people grew up,you spring cleaned ,like you said curtains,woodwork and ect.Sounds like it is too much for you ,maybe time to sell.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Spring cleaning

[ Edited ]

I deep clean over the course of about four weekends in Spring. It's actually kind of fun.  Then, until Thanksgiving, when I do another deep cleaning, housework isn't a big priority.

Now, it sounds like your house is far bigger than mine.  We have just two bathrooms and three bedrooms.  Do you think about downsizing?

Honored Contributor

Re: Spring cleaning

[ Edited ]

I started having problems with my back several years ago and have just done basic cleaning since then.  After I clean I'm in bed for the rest of the day with a Salon Pas hot pain patch on my back and taking Tylenol Arthritis.  I should have done this at the time, but finally decided to hire housecleaners that came highly recommended.

The two of them came yesterday.  I didn't expect them to do nearly as much as they did.  They even cleaned my baseboards without my asking.  They moved all of my furniture and cleaned behind it.  They did a great job.  I'm going to have them come once a month and try to keep up with it myself between times.  It will be so much easier.

I have several projects for this summer.  I'm going to try to clean out all of my closets and put everything I don't want in my garage. Then I'm going to hire someone (maybe like Junk Bee Gone) to come and take everything from my garage except what I plan to donate.  Then I will call someone to come and take my donated items.  I'm so glad to be getting this done.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I still do spring cleaning and fall cleaning.   In the spring I wash down all my kitchen cabinets and appliances etc.   I wipe down the woodwork with the mop when I'm washing floors.   In the fall I wash all of my windows.  Throughout the year I do try to keep a pretty tidy house........however there is so much more to life so I try to stop and smell the roses too!   It's a balancing act.