Honored Contributor

Re: Spot-on truths about some compliments

When I was going through a horrible time, I didn't want to hear how strong I was. I wanted to cry, and pull the covers over my head

Some people might like to be told that, I didn't

Valued Contributor

I went to my PC doctor last week and was excited to have her see my  weight loss on the scale.... 72 lbs so far.

Weight loss, plus exercise & Zumba have really made a difference in my blood work, so I looked forward to this visit.

The young PA (new to me ) weighed me and wrote in my chart.  Then she congratulated me saying: "Wow!  On the chart you are no longer morbidly obese, you are just plain obese!"

Talk about a pin in my balloon!  Oh well, the doctor and I had a good laugh about it later.

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

Let’s not forget “Bless your heart!”

@RedTop

“Bless your heart” has a different meaning where I grew up.

You've both lost me on this one. Please explain further. I'm clueless in Lincoln, NE. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

One that annoys me is when you are in a public space, grocery store & are being nice to the opposite sex, male, by offering to let them go ahead of you in the checkout line, seeing they only have a couple of items to purchase.  "Why don't you you go ahead of me".  They shoot back with something about having a girlfriend? WHAT? I wasn't flirting! In fact 99.9% of time I could care less. I offer back when I'm in a fiesty mood: "Don't flatter yourself". Otherwise I just keep quiet. Really, some men think they are so it.

Honored Contributor

If someone is ever going through a bad patch, try to thell them something that will give them hope. That is what they really need..

Trusted Contributor

Considering the fact that everyone that posts on facebook or here is stunningly beautiful... well who can believe true compliments anymore.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can see where some of these are backhanded, at best, insulting at worst, but finding fault with some of them is just plain reaching and finding fault with a few of them take 'sensitivity' and poliltical correctness to a whole other and even more ridiculous level...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...