Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya;
Oh, Lord, kumbaya.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Sponsors dropping The View

Wait a  minute ..............

I thought the original discussion was about the Miss Amer contestant wearing a nurse's uniform & stethescope while reading isn't really a "talent" ....  the reference being that it was a bad choice for the Talent Competition.   

So why would nurses get upset about that?    You don't have to be "talented" to read ....  you need to know how to read.   

What did I miss ??

Honored Contributor

Aren't these "discussion shows" supposed to be thought-provoking????

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@guatmum wrote:

I've watched the show a few times but, in general, I'm either working or doing other things when it's on.  I can't imagine this kind of anger toward a show that so many say they have hated from the get-go.  If you've always hated it, why do you watch it?  I find a number of channels and shows not to my taste so I don't waste my time.  As for nurses somehow being offended, I think, as another poster stated, that too many people are looking to be offended these days.  Learn to ignore, learn to change the channel, learn that there is something for everyone out there and you won't agree with all of it.  Quite frankly, I doubt too many people actually boycott sponsors of a show because of a single comment.  Lawyers, teachers, and many other professions constantly have silly and sometimes rude comments made about them.  Why are nurses any different?  Shrug it off, move on, free yourself of the negative energy it takes to hate something, and be a healthier person.  I would think especially those in the medical community would know this.

The nurses are upset because they think their profession is special because of what they deal with on a day to day basis. My niece is an RN and she has told me many times the job is not what it's cracked up to be and they do not get the professional respect they deserve.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

It looks like they're doing damage control today by inviting some nurses on.

I still don't know what all the hoopla is.  What I saw was a comments session about the pageant.  They hadn't watch the real pageant so a picture of the contestant nurse was shown on a screen.  (I say on here yesterday it was a clip until I read an article that corrected me).  Looking at the picture, they didn't know what was going on so they started making jokes about a contestant dressed so oddly.  I never heard them say anything bad about nurses, just that what kind of talent was she doing, dressed as a nurse.  

A smart move, this show is on life support.

As a nurse I found the mocking tone insulting and the statement "why is she wearing a "doctor's stethoscope " on her neck" was one of the issues. It really shows her ignorance and her lofty behavior.  Many professions carry the tool but a nurse always does and her comment implies nurses perform at a very low level like carrying a bed pan or making a bed, which btw are not menial tasks to their patients.  That nurses should not carry stethoscopes, in fact.   Either she is very healthy or very stupid

Esteemed Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

I haven't watched the View in years but I do understand Johnson & Johnson dropping out-every year during Nurse's Week they run special commercials commemorating the jobs nurses do.

Joy has apologized, she seemed sincere from what I read. The other woman not so much.

I do understand why nurses would be so upset about the stethescope remark. For forever and a day their job has been denigrated while the doctors walk on water. Nurses know more about their patients than the doctors do and it will always be that way.

Just look here at the nit-picking that went on over how the contestant in question wore the stethescope!! She wore it in the manner that made HER comfortable. She doesn't have to follow the standards of what the general public (or other nurses) feel is correct.

The young woman was on TV and wore the stethoscope where she was comfortable for what she was doing.  The nit picking was just silly about where a nurse keeps her stethoscope and the main issue of the conversation was lost.  Nurses keep them in different places dependent upon what task they are doing, simple as that just as this lady did.

Honored Contributor

"The View" has lost three more major advertisers in the wake of the ongoing #NursesUnite controversy.

Party City, Snuggle and McCormick all removed their ads from the ABC daytime talk show. All three companies announced their withdrawals on their respective Facebook pages.

They join Eggland's Best and Johnson & Johnson, who removed their advertising earlier this week following backlash from nurses over mocking comments made about a contestant in Sunday's Miss America pageant.

"In response to recent comments made on 'The View,' Party City has decided to pause its advertising accordingly," wrote Party City on Facebook.

"Thank you for expressing your concerns. Like you, we also value and admire nurses, so we have paused advertising on the daytime television show in question," McCormick wrote.

From The Wrap

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Just an off topic (OT) and an, for your information (f.y.i.) point,  some people shouldn't be nurses.

And way more shouldn't be doctors, teachers, police....there are bad apples in every profession but most of us do/did fine jobs and sacrifice much and minus fine salaries and perks. 

Esteemed Contributor

@juliet wrote:

Todays show with all the nurses was a sincere effort to turn lemons into lemonade and what Joy said was by far not the most offensive thing she's ever said. As for Michele she has made some really low blow remarks off the cuff - Joy's jokes are at least generally funny but I do agree that she became really mean spirited starting when Bush was President and I found way too many of her remarks really immature and embarrasing. I think the show is better off with only one sarcastic comedienne so they don't double down on their insults like they did Monday.

I just really hate when they speak politics as it is so stilted....no matter who is in office, the Presidency deserves respect.  Joy to me is quite Joyless...and the rest are just silly twits

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wait a  minute ..............

I thought the original discussion was about the Miss Amer contestant wearing a nurse's uniform & stethescope while reading isn't really a "talent" ....  the reference being that it was a bad choice for the Talent Competition.   

So why would nurses get upset about that?    You don't have to be "talented" to read ....  you need to know how to read.   

What did I miss ??

I'm a bit perplexed as well. I thought the comment was about reading not being a talent like singing, playing a musical instrument, dancing, etc. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____