Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sponsors dropping The View

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Wait a  minute ..............

I thought the original discussion was about the Miss Amer contestant wearing a nurse's uniform & stethescope while reading isn't really a "talent" ....  the reference being that it was a bad choice for the Talent Competition.   

So why would nurses get upset about that?    You don't have to be "talented" to read ....  you need to know how to read.   

What did I miss ??

I guess you have to be a nurse to get it.  Nurses everyday are degraded and doctors exalted...we are sick of it and to say "why was she wearing a doctor's stethoscope" was insulting to us.  There was a time when nurses had to stand up and give doctors a seat.  I refused and almost lost my job; has that ever happened to a lawyer? A teacher?.  I didn't do it out of disrespect but my feet and back hurt from moving patients under anesthesia all day.   How many other professions have ruined their backs and feet serving others? And, I am not complaining; I did it willingly and lovingly and enjoyed my profession for 50 years every difficult and wonderful minute of it.  Our profession was always looked upon as subservient years ago...nurses educate themselves, keep their knowledge updated as well as very difficult skills and have elevated their profession and enriched it.  quite frankly, we worked to hard to elevate the profession to be insulted by the likes of the biddies on the view..... I as a nurse moved to the Corporate world and had very unique opportunities....I could have coasted and had a real easy job compared to hospital experience...but I went back for three degrees, including one in law because that's what we do, strive to learn...But, I always identify as a nurse.....I am not offended by lawyer jokes ....you have to walk in our shoes to understand 

Honored Contributor

It may have been said one way, but it was heard a different way.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@Preds I love that quote!

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Preds I love that quote!

I do, too!  Use it often!  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

It looks like they're doing damage control today by inviting some nurses on.

I still don't know what all the hoopla is.  What I saw was a comments session about the pageant.  They hadn't watch the real pageant so a picture of the contestant nurse was shown on a screen.  (I say on here yesterday it was a clip until I read an article that corrected me).  Looking at the picture, they didn't know what was going on so they started making jokes about a contestant dressed so oddly.  I never heard them say anything bad about nurses, just that what kind of talent was she doing, dressed as a nurse.  

A smart move, this show is on life support.

As a nurse I found the mocking tone insulting and the statement "why is she wearing a "doctor's stethoscope " on her neck" was one of the issues. It really shows her ignorance and her lofty behavior.  Many professions carry the tool but a nurse always does and her comment implies nurses perform at a very low level like carrying a bed pan or making a bed, which btw are not menial tasks to their patients.  That nurses should not carry stethoscopes, in fact.   Either she is very healthy or very stupid

Yes. This. To me, that was exactly it - to intimate that only doctors wear/use stethoscopes because that is a "doctor thing" showed considerable ignorance. Has the woman never had her blood pressure taken manually? Never mind a nurse, medical assistants use stethoscopes sometimes to take BP.  Duh.

And I agree that the comment also infers that nurses' jobs are clearly much less important or worthy of respect than a DOCTOR, the "proper and true wearer of a stethoscope." Do I infer that from her words? Only partly - more because she felt it was joke-worthy and scorn-worthy and something to pounce on for a laugh - *without knowing  what she was talking about.* If you're going to be snide and take a dig for laughs, best not display your ignorance while you attempt it.

The "but she thought it was a costume" rationale doesn't hold water as an excuse - even IF it was a costume (and why assume without knowing?), it *still* displays ignorance of the fact that medical professionals other than nurses use stethoscopes. So, poor baby was simply ignorant? Then maybe make sure you do know what you're talking about before you shoot off your mouth on national TV.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

It looks like they're doing damage control today by inviting some nurses on.

I still don't know what all the hoopla is.  What I saw was a comments session about the pageant.  They hadn't watch the real pageant so a picture of the contestant nurse was shown on a screen.  (I say on here yesterday it was a clip until I read an article that corrected me).  Looking at the picture, they didn't know what was going on so they started making jokes about a contestant dressed so oddly.  I never heard them say anything bad about nurses, just that what kind of talent was she doing, dressed as a nurse.  

A smart move, this show is on life support.

As a nurse I found the mocking tone insulting and the statement "why is she wearing a "doctor's stethoscope " on her neck" was one of the issues. It really shows her ignorance and her lofty behavior.  Many professions carry the tool but a nurse always does and her comment implies nurses perform at a very low level like carrying a bed pan or making a bed, which btw are not menial tasks to their patients.  That nurses should not carry stethoscopes, in fact.   Either she is very healthy or very stupid

Yes. This. To me, that was exactly it - to intimate that only doctors wear/use stethoscopes because that is a "doctor thing" showed considerable ignorance. Has the woman never had her blood pressure taken manually? Never mind a nurse, medical assistants use stethoscopes sometimes to take BP.  Duh.

And I agree that the comment also infers that nurses' jobs are clearly much less important or worthy of respect than a DOCTOR, the "proper and true wearer of a stethoscope." Do I infer that from her words? Only partly - more because she felt it was joke-worthy and scorn-worthy and something to pounce on for a laugh - *without knowing  what she was talking about.* If you're going to be snide and take a dig for laughs, best not display your ignorance while you attempt it.

The "but she thought it was a costume" rationale doesn't hold water as an excuse - even IF it was a costume (and why assume without knowing?), it *still* displays ignorance of the fact that medical professionals other than nurses use stethoscopes. So, poor baby was simply ignorant? Then maybe make sure you do know what you're talking about before you shoot off your mouth on national TV.

I so agree.  I would think just being a woman, other women would support a female dominated profession.  I don't think younger nurses experience as much chauvinistic behavior by physicians as in my time but it still exists.  Nurses work hard physically and emotionally; you are always on duty.  I am retired now but get knocks on my door when there are emergencies in my condominium....I don't think that happens to most professions.  We have doctors living here but nurses are always called.  It is an admirable profession and to mock it, well, is just disgusting.  Some make comments like " nurses think they are Special". Yes, yes we are! And, many others think so too! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

"The View" has lost three more major advertisers in the wake of the ongoing #NursesUnite controversy.

Party City, Snuggle and McCormick all removed their ads from the ABC daytime talk show. All three companies announced their withdrawals on their respective Facebook pages.

They join Eggland's Best and Johnson & Johnson, who removed their advertising earlier this week following backlash from nurses over mocking comments made about a contestant in Sunday's Miss America pageant.

"In response to recent comments made on 'The View,' Party City has decided to pause its advertising accordingly," wrote Party City on Facebook.

"Thank you for expressing your concerns. Like you, we also value and admire nurses, so we have paused advertising on the daytime television show in question," McCormick wrote.

From The Wrap

And so the people spoke.  I rest my case.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greenhouse, you seem ignorant of other professions.  I can apply almost everything you stated about nurses to teachers and I'm sure some different things as well.  Yes, there was a time that teachers were (and in some places still are) working at the whim of the parent community.  Teachers, until the 50s and 60s weren't allowed to be married and work while showing a pregnancy.  Teachers still lose their jobs because they have a drink in their hand on a personal facebook site or the like.  I am questioned in the drugstore or grocery store about why I am "out" during a day I am out sick and I have to explain to the parent (as though it's REALLY their business) that, since I live alone, I must still eat and pick up my own meds regardless of how sick I am.  We are constantly referred to as babysitters and most people in our culture still believe we only work part-time for a full-time salary.  So, yes, other professions have gone through quite a bit, we still strive to better our professions, and we still CONSTANTLY upgrade/update/continue our education.  Nurses don't have a monopoly on any of that.  When it comes to service professions, the saying is true, "Some help to save lives while others help to make lives."  However, wouldn't it be nice NOT to blame the entire world for the difficulties our professions have gone through?  Wouldn't it be nice to truly hear what others are saying rather than filtering it based on our own anger?  I didn't see the show but it sounds like, as others have already stated, that it was the READING as a talent that was commented on, not the profession of a nurse.  If the comment about the stethoscope was inaccurate, merely correcting the misconception would go a LOT further to create understanding in the public than railing about it.  And, no, one doesn't have to be a nurse to "get it."  That's just another way to dismiss someone's comment without explaining yourself.

Honored Contributor

I have always appreciated nurses (and always tell them so) and find it to be an important and admirable profession.

My only opinion on this whole "flap" is that, IMO, nursing is a profession, not a talent.  I watched the pageant and was surprised to see this contestant's performance treated as a "talent."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

Not a regular viewer....last one I saw was a day off from work where Rosy attacked Tom Selleck and he walked off.  I catch it in the nail salon every 2 weeks and not by choice....no loss to me. 

Tom Selleck never walked off The View...and he never walked off the Rosie Show either when they had a dsagreement on gun control. Never happened!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel