Honored Contributor

I don't know why somebody here hasn't already suggested this.  UPS could speed up their deliveries by two days if they worked week-ends! 

Things slowly grind to a halt Friday afternoons.  That's when the drivers can't read the perfectly printed labels and must return to their warehouse to get them verified.... oh, and they might as well leave for the day too.

Of course there's no work over the week-end, although with reduced traffic, the trucks could move faster.  Monday morning they slowly wake up and things start churning again, reaching "normal" by afternoon.

If they cut out the week end work stoppage they'd increase delivery time by at least 2+ days.  I'm sure they probably have a union contract that spells out working conditions including holidays, hours, and eliminates week-end work, so offer a monetary incentive or make it mandatory and rotate it.

It might get some of those packages out of the Hodgkins quagmire.   It's just an idea.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Not sure where you live, but here in our part of the Midwest, UPS does work weekends. Being with Prime, we get a lot of Saturday and Sunday UPS deliveries.

What I don't like, is when UPS passes a package off to USPS. Always get them a day or 2 later, if they are ordered from a shopping network or company that does not offer Prime.. Give me UPS any day over the USPS for package delivery.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yup, when I lived in the big city I would get my Amazon pkgs (Prime) on Saturdays and even Sundays! I live in the boonies now and its only M-F delivery here. I'm happy with it though, still much faster than the alternative.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

What I find interesting is that a lot of my Amazon prime packages are delivered by USPS - even on Sunday.

Amazing that Amazon can get them delivered in 1 to 2 days, but other shippers - who are charging me for the privilege - can't.

Esteemed Contributor

I live less that 10 miles from an Amazon fulfillment center. I get stuff fast. Sometimes the same day. I had a delivery from UPS last Saturday, so they do work weekends.

Honored Contributor

I can only speak for myself but the LAST thing I would ever want is UPS deliveries on weekends.  Why would I want to hang around all day on a Sunday waiting for D&Co pants...lol   UPS does deliver on weekends during the holiday rush, that's good enough for me.  Usps delivers on Sundays and Amazon, of course.  I try to take that into account when I buy something because I won't give up a weekend to wait for packages.  As for UPS, I get terrifc delivery times from them.  I have no complaints.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Are you willing to pay extra for shipping to pay for the extra personal to work on the weekend.

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't know why somebody here hasn't already suggested this.  UPS could speed up their deliveries by two days if they worked week-ends! 

Things slowly grind to a halt Friday afternoons.  That's when the drivers can't read the perfectly printed labels and must return to their warehouse to get them verified.... oh, and they might as well leave for the day too.

Of course there's no work over the week-end, although with reduced traffic, the trucks could move faster.  Monday morning they slowly wake up and things start churning again, reaching "normal" by afternoon.

If they cut out the week end work stoppage they'd increase delivery time by at least 2+ days.  I'm sure they probably have a union contract that spells out working conditions including holidays, hours, and eliminates week-end work, so offer a monetary incentive or make it mandatory and rotate it.

It might get some of those packages out of the Hodgkins quagmire.   It's just an idea.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

No issues or complaints with UPS here either. In fact a couple times theres been a late trailer which meant my pkg didn’t make it, so that would delay my delivery. When this happens they deliver it to my house instead of to the post office. This way I get it still as expected. I know some UPS drivers - UPS busts their butt!! 

Honored Contributor

Typically, UPS is union.

While I have seen plenty of UPS trucks on Saturdays, making it a standard work day would have to be negotiated in a contract.

As mentioned above, it WILL come at a cost which would be passed to us.

Honored Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom

I agree with you my UPS driver has gone out of his way for us more than once, he is a local guy and really great at what he does

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.