Frequent Contributor

Somewhere over the Rainbow....

I had posted on a thread (which has since been closed) about a version of Somewhere over the Rainbow that I heard on the radio this morning.  I never heard it before and it was fantastic.  I had tears.

I have since learned that the artist who sang this rendition was Eva Cassidy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Somewhere over the Rainbow....

What a wonderful voice she had, & taken much too soon & too young by cancer.  I have a couple of her CDs.

Trusted Contributor

Love her version of Over The Rainbow. If you get a chance check out some of her other recordings. I think that you might like them.  She was a great talent.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

She had a beautiful voice. I did not find her until one day I heard her sing on the radio. I decided to google who this wonderful singer was...and was saddened to hear she had already died of cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@klajfakj wrote:

I had posted on a thread (which has since been closed) about a version of Somewhere over the Rainbow that I heard on the radio this morning.  I never heard it before and it was fantastic.  I had tears.

I have since learned that the artist who sang this rendition was Eva Cassidy.

@klajfakj

Beautiful version and voice of one of my favorite songs. I am now listening to it on my Dolby 5.1 surround sound system, just like she is in my patio room.

Thank you for this thread and the name of the artist. I am going to bookmark it on my TV browser so I can listen to it when I want.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

I had to email the radio host and ask who the artist was....and they replied!

I had never heard of this artist before but since I came home I have been online listening to some of her songs and her voice is amazing. 

Nothing will ever surpass the original; however, this version is RIGHT up there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Eva Cassidy.  My favorite of hers is Fields of Gold.  I will never forget seeing Michelle Kwan skate to it as her exhibition piece at the 2002 Olympics.  It was both poignant and humbling.  It was as if Eva Cassidy sang this song just for her. Many people didn't know who Eva Cassidy was until that performance.

Honored Contributor

klajfakj wrote:

I had to email the radio host and ask who the artist was....and they replied!

I had never heard of this artist before but since I came home I have been online listening to some of her songs and her voice is amazing. 

Nothing will ever surpass the original; however, this version is RIGHT up there.

@klajfakj

i had posted the singers name and a link to the song on youtube and sent you an @  in that thread, but i guess you missed it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

i had posted the singers name and a link to the song on youtube and sent you an @  in that thread, but i guess you missed it.

I did miss that. I thank you just the same.

Honored Contributor

Fields of Gold is probably my favorite song by Eva Cassidy.  I'll have to see if I have her version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.